Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Professional Photographers - Sell your Photos Online , Online Proofing, Watermarking, Image Protection, and more.

Re: Professional Photographers - Sell your Photos Online , Online Proofing, Watermarking, Image Protection, and more.

Lionel

On 6 Jul 2003 11:40:28 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ted Smith) said:

>ImageDisplayWorks' (IDW) "Eye Select" is an end-to-end Internet
>software application that enables professional photographers to sell
>their photographs and manage their events online. Pricing starts at
>just $49.00/month (hosting included).

Too expensive.
I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
commission on sales.

zeitgeist

> Too expensive.
> I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
> reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
> most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
> commission on sales.
>
> --

yeah, but I refuse to do business with spammers, period.

Lionel

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:05:39 GMT, in <7Z8Oa.23779$Ix2.11242@rwcrnsc54>,
"zeitgeist" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> Too expensive.
>> I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
>> reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
>> most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
>> commission on sales.

>yeah, but I refuse to do business with spammers, period.

That too.

Graphic

Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----

---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly fees
or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:beaoif$uf4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 6 Jul 2003 11:40:28 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Ted Smith) said:
>
> >ImageDisplayWorks' (IDW) "Eye Select" is an end-to-end Internet
> >software application that enables professional photographers to sell
> >their photographs and manage their events online. Pricing starts at
> >just $49.00/month (hosting included).

> Too expensive.
> I'd actually be interested in a service like this if it was at a
> reasonable price. I'd be willing to pay a *small* (ie; similar to what
> most providers charge for hosting <100MB) hosting charge, with a
> commission on sales.

Brad

In article <bep62c$e31$(E-Mail Removed)>, graphic99
@mindspring.com said...
> Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----
>
> ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
> print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
> about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
> client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
> all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly fees
> or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????

At dotPhoto we allow photographers to charge their own prices. We take
the CC fee (3%) plus our price for the print and 15% of the difference
between our price and the custom price. You can sell one print per month
or 10 thousand and there are no extra fees at this time.

The only other option I've seen for photographers is to run their own
sites and take orders and submit them by hand to an online site (or local
lab), but that takes considerable time and expertise and additional money.

VH-MR2

"Graphic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bep62c$e31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----
>
> ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
> print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
> about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
> client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
> all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly

fees
> or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????

Running an internet site is an expensive business and they're not forcing
you to do anything.

VH-MR2

Hi Paul

"Paul Butzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.butzi.net

I notice you have advertised your COMMERCIAL website as well .. isn't that a
tad like the pot calling the kettle black?

As for the post .. I see no problem with posting a business into a
newsgroup, they are not "non commercial". I feel the problem exists when
people use the wrong newsgroup or insist on posting continually ... this
is my opinion, it differs from yours and i'm sure everyone has their own.

Paul Butzi

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:47:09 +1000, "VH-MR2"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Paul
>
>"Paul Butzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> http://www.butzi.net

>I notice you have advertised your COMMERCIAL website as well .. isn't that a
>tad like the pot calling the kettle black?

If you look around, you'll notice that the one acceptable way to
mention a commercial enterprise with which you're associated is to put
the URL or name of the business/contact info for the business in your
..sig. And that's been the case since 1981 or something like that, way
back when usenet posts were passed from host to host using UUCP.

If I posted in the rec.photo groups urging people to buy off my
website (something I haven't done and don't plan to do) I would be
pretty clearly over the line, and I would hope that someone would tell
me to stop.

I'll make a deal with you. I suggest that Richard Knoppow is the
person who posts on rec.photo who is most held in extremely high
regard. If you want me to delete the URL for my web site from my
..sig, I'll be happy to do it if you can get Richard to ask me to do
it.

>As for the post .. I see no problem with posting a business into a
>newsgroup, they are not "non commercial". I feel the problem exists when
>people use the wrong newsgroup or insist on posting continually ... this
>is my opinion, it differs from yours and i'm sure everyone has their own.

You may see no problem with it, and you may feel that the rec.photo
groups are not "non-commercial" but you are just as wrong about this
as you are about my .sig mentioning my website. You may find reading
the charter for the rec.photo newsgroups helpful in straightening out
your confusion.

-Paul

--
http://www.butzi.net

VH-MR2

"Paul Butzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you look around, you'll notice that the one acceptable way to
> mention a commercial enterprise with which you're associated is to put
> the URL or name of the business/contact info for the business in your
> .sig. And that's been the case since 1981 or something like that, way
> back when usenet posts were passed from host to host using UUCP.

With all due respect Paul .. that is your opinion. I beg to differ on your
other statements .. businesses have been advertising in newsgroups since
they opened and sure, it can be annoying but at least that bloke wasn't
trying to increase the size of your penis or invite you to watch cumly girls

> If I posted in the rec.photo groups urging people to buy off my
> website (something I haven't done and don't plan to do) I would be
> pretty clearly over the line, and I would hope that someone would tell
> me to stop.

I don't think it's over the line at all although I suspect no one would buy.
But then, the nature of his business is one that photographers are likely to
choose to use if they are happy to pay the monthly fee. I feel it's
entirely relevant to the newsgroups mentioned above. Wannabe professionals
looking for someone to host their pictures. Rather than bitching about him
doing something you don't like why not just block sender?

No use getting grey hairs over something you can't change.

> I'll make a deal with you. I suggest that Richard Knoppow is the
> person who posts on rec.photo who is most held in extremely high
> regard. If you want me to delete the URL for my web site from my
> .sig, I'll be happy to do it if you can get Richard to ask me to do
> it.

I don't want you to delete your URL. I was merely pointing out what
appears, to me, to be a small hypocrisy.

> You may see no problem with it, and you may feel that the rec.photo
> groups are not "non-commercial" but you are just as wrong about this
> as you are about my .sig mentioning my website. You may find reading
> the charter for the rec.photo newsgroups helpful in straightening out
> your confusion.

Actually, rather than me doing all that, might I suggest a more simple
solution? A little tolerance on your part?

Brad

said...
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:14:38 -0400, Brad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <bep62c$e31$(E-Mail Removed)>, graphic99
> >@mindspring.com said...
> >> Greedy, Greedy internet spammers-----
> >>
> >> ---they should be satisfied with a decent profit for a decent professional
> >> print PLUS a reasonable commission (5% ??? credit card companies only get
> >> about 3% as merchant fees) for handling the money collections from the end
> >> client of the event photographer.....Then I'd be interested as well....but
> >> all of the labs that I've seen offering this service want large monthly fees
> >> or gaurantees. But who gaurantees the photographers their cash flow????

> >At dotPhoto we allow photographers to charge their own prices. We take
> >the CC fee (3%) plus our price for the print and 15% of the difference
> >between our price and the custom price. You can sell one print per month
> >or 10 thousand and there are no extra fees at this time.
> >
> >The only other option I've seen for photographers is to run their own
> >sites and take orders and submit them by hand to an online site (or local
> >lab), but that takes considerable time and expertise and additional money.

> Please don't use the non-commercial newsgroups to promote your
> business.
>
> All you will do is annoy part of your potential market and provide a
> venue for people to make nasty comments about your business model,
> which as far as I can tell are mostly warranted.
>
> Cut your losses now and stop.

He was making a statement about the services available and there are
options that he was obviously unaware of. I could have easily posted as
an anonymous user and pretended to be a third party (as people often do
when recommending companies), but I didn't because I didn't want to
mislead anybody.