Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Professional Photographers - Sell your Photos Online , Online Proofing, Watermarking, Image Protection, and more.

Re: Professional Photographers - Sell your Photos Online , Online Proofing, Watermarking, Image Protection, and more.

VH-MR2

It's a bandwidth thing .. understand bandwidth?

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:betmee$ecb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:10:39 +1000, in <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "VH-MR2" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> >You know what else is "custom" in these newsgroups .. at least one

stroker
> >who will pick and pick and pick at anything they don't agree with...

> I notice that you chose to snip out all my comments when replying. Nice
> work, ****-for-brains.

isn't it dick for brains?

VH-MR2

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:beu3f2$7ei$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:06:18 +0200, in
>
> Bullshit. Go read the AUP policy at your ISP if you don't believe me.
> Also, go do some Googling on the phrase "Usenet death penalty", if you
> want to see what happens to ISPs that think the way you do.

Interesting .... I work in the industry and i've never heard of a SINGLE
ISP falling victim to any Usenet death penalty .. feel free to name a few as
i'm not saying it's never happened .. i'm just saying that none of the ISP's
i've ever had to deal with have ever taken any action .. including ..

1. The bloke who likes to post peoples home addresses out on the internet
for no reason other than harrassment

2. The bloke who was using someone elses name/email address to hit US sites
and post "you got what you deserved on 911" type posts.

Both incidents had to be addressed by the Police of the countries involved
... ISP's didn't involve themselves until requested to by the courts.

Lionel

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:15:26 +1000, in <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"VH-MR2" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:beu3m3$7ei$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:08:11 +0200, in
>>
>> And where do you get the data required to make such a categoric
>> statement? I know several newsadmins & many ISP staff, & I know that
>> people regularly lose Usenet access for such behaviour.

>I'm interested in this as I know for a fact that most ISP's do not take any
>action at all ...

No, you don't know any such thing 'for a fact'. Do you know any ISP
staff, of have you worked for an ISP yourself? - Clearly not, or you
wouldn't be taking this stance. They probably won't thank me for
pointing you there, but I'd love to see you explaining to the regulars
in alt.tech-support.recovery about how they "do not take any
action at all" on ad's that violate newsgroup charters.

>> You are correct in saying that most complaints are groundless, but not
>> all are, & valid complaints are usually acted upon by responsible ISPs
>> or news providers.

>I'd hazard a guess to suggest that those legitimate complaints would NEVER
>involve an advertisement in a related newsgroup.

If such an ad came from a regular poster, & was on-topic in the thread
(like that of the guy I was *supporting* with my post in that thread),
they'd probably be fine, yes.

Lionel

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:16:06 +1000, in <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"VH-MR2" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>It's a bandwidth thing .. understand bandwidth?

Unsurprisingly, given that networking & bandwidth management is part of
my job, yes.

>"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:betmee$ecb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:10:39 +1000, in <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "VH-MR2" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> >You know what else is "custom" in these newsgroups .. at least one

>stroker
>> >who will pick and pick and pick at anything they don't agree with...

>> I notice that you chose to snip out all my comments when replying. Nice
>> work, ****-for-brains.

>isn't it dick for brains?

It's your skull, I'm happy to take your word for what it contains.

Lionel

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:19:20 +1000, in <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"VH-MR2" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:beu3f2$7ei$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:06:18 +0200, in
>>
>> Bullshit. Go read the AUP policy at your ISP if you don't believe me.
>> Also, go do some Googling on the phrase "Usenet death penalty", if you
>> want to see what happens to ISPs that think the way you do.

>Interesting .... I work in the industry

Do you? Aren't you the same person who was recently telling us over in
aus.photo that you worked for the government?

> and i've never heard of a SINGLE
>ISP falling victim to any Usenet death penalty ..

It doesn't happen often. These days, ISPs usually make some sort of
effort to clean up their act as soon as a UDP is threatened. I've only
seen a few actually carried out.

> feel free to name a few as
>i'm not saying it's never happened ..

Sure. Here's the FAQ on UDPs:
http://www.stopspam.org/usenet/faqs/udp.html
At the end, you'll find the list of providers who've either been UDPed,
or been threatened with one. There are some very big names in there.

> i'm just saying that none of the ISP's
>i've ever had to deal with have ever taken any action .. including ..
>
>1. The bloke who likes to post peoples home addresses out on the internet
>for no reason other than harrassment
>
>2. The bloke who was using someone elses name/email address to hit US sites
>and post "you got what you deserved on 911" type posts.

Sounds like pretty clueless or unethical ISPs. Care to name names?

>Both incidents had to be addressed by the Police of the countries involved
>.. ISP's didn't involve themselves until requested to by the courts.

Not uncommon, sadly. I generally find that it helps to to contact the
upstream providers of the 'difficult' company. It often helps to know
some of the technical or managerial staff as well.