Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Studio Flash Kit

Re: Studio Flash Kit

T P

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Davies) wrote:

>Also, any reccomendations for dealers in the UK that may offer better
>value than Jessops.

Portaflash is Jessops' own brand so you cannot buy it anywhere else.
Personally, I don't rate it at all.

You would be better buying a good used set-up such as Bowens or
Elinchrom. They are much more expensive new, but they are built to
withstand hard use and can be good used buys. Used prices should be
comparable to those of new Portaflash systems.

John Halliwell

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, T P
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Portaflash is Jessops' own brand so you cannot buy it anywhere else.
>Personally, I don't rate it at all.

Portaflash is not brilliant. The various kits are very expensive unless
you need all the bits they come with. There's little point paying a
fortune for reflectors and such, they can easily be home made for next
to nothing. Concentrate on the heads if you must.

I've got a couple of Portaflash brolly brackets and 32" brollies used
mainly with a pair of Vivitar 283s, easy to get hold of and reasonably
cheap.

--
John

Preston, Lancs, UK.
Photos at http://www.photopia.demon.co.uk

T P

John Halliwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Portaflash is not brilliant. The various kits are very expensive unless
>you need all the bits they come with. There's little point paying a
>fortune for reflectors and such, they can easily be home made for next
>to nothing. Concentrate on the heads if you must.
>
>I've got a couple of Portaflash brolly brackets and 32" brollies used
>mainly with a pair of Vivitar 283s, easy to get hold of and reasonably
>cheap.

It would have been more polite to direct your comments to the original
poster, rather than as a reply to me. I'm not in the least interested
in your advice or experience; I simply won't touch such junk.