Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheap studio lights (was:Re: 10D Flash question)

Cheap studio lights (was:Re: 10D Flash question)

Lionel

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:02:44 -0700, in
<300620030802446670%(E-Mail Removed)>, Randall Ainsworth
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>You need to learn how to do professional lighting and then use
>professional lighting equipment.

Speaking of which, I owe somebody here (I don't remember who) a big
'thank you' for suggesting quartz-halogen worklights (minus the wire
guards) from a hardware store as a discount substitute for standard
studio lights.
I have a couple of lovely young friends who are wannabe actresses /
models. They've asked me to do some folio photos for them, but I don't
do studio work myself, so I'm not set up for it. OTOH, I'd love to
photograph them, & I'd certainly like some studio experience.
I went & bought two dual head worklights yesterday for the huge *cough*
sum of $93AUD (~$56USD) each, for a total of 2000W of pretty good light.
The stands are good & sturdy, can be extended to put the lights up to
about 7' or so, & collapse down to be fairly compact & portable. The
colour temperature is also a good match for Canon's 'tungsten' WB
setting, which is a time saver. The major difference I can see between
these units & pro studio lights is that the metalwork is finished in
yellw, rather than black. Considering the price difference, I think I
can live with this.
Now I just need to rig up some cheap reflectors, diffusers & a couple of
backdrops.

For any other Australians reading this, the lamps I used are Nelson
MWLT033 "500W Twin-head Quartz Halogen Work Lights", from the Bunnings
Hardware chain at about $93 a set. I bought mine from the Melbourne city
shop, but they're a national chain.
I'd supply the URLs for Bunnings & Nelson Lamps, but both of them have
totally useless, amateur websites.

Scott Coutts

Lionel wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:02:44 -0700, in
> <300620030802446670%(E-Mail Removed)>, Randall Ainsworth
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>You need to learn how to do professional lighting and then use
>>professional lighting equipment.

> Speaking of which, I owe somebody here (I don't remember who) a big
> 'thank you' for suggesting quartz-halogen worklights (minus the wire
> guards) from a hardware store as a discount substitute for standard
> studio lights.
> I have a couple of lovely young friends who are wannabe actresses /
> models. They've asked me to do some folio photos for them, but I don't
> do studio work myself, so I'm not set up for it. OTOH, I'd love to
> photograph them, & I'd certainly like some studio experience.
> I went & bought two dual head worklights yesterday for the huge *cough*
> sum of $93AUD (~$56USD) each, for a total of 2000W of pretty good light.
> The stands are good & sturdy, can be extended to put the lights up to
> about 7' or so, & collapse down to be fairly compact & portable. The
> colour temperature is also a good match for Canon's 'tungsten' WB
> setting, which is a time saver. The major difference I can see between
> these units & pro studio lights is that the metalwork is finished in
> yellw, rather than black. Considering the price difference, I think I
> can live with this.
> Now I just need to rig up some cheap reflectors, diffusers & a couple of
> backdrops.
>
> For any other Australians reading this, the lamps I used are Nelson
> MWLT033 "500W Twin-head Quartz Halogen Work Lights", from the Bunnings
> Hardware chain at about $93 a set. I bought mine from the Melbourne city
> shop, but they're a national chain.
> I'd supply the URLs for Bunnings & Nelson Lamps, but both of them have
> totally useless, amateur websites.

Yup, I've bought another one of the too. Last time, I couldnt remember
the brand name of mine. You can also get Arlec ones which is what I use
- they're also fro Bunnings. They're also that oh-so-unprofessional
orange (: But hey, you can buy the Alien Bees professional monos in
bright orange if you want (or green, or yellow, or boring black)!

Also, I have found some good, very small, steel housings for the
downlights that I mentioned last time. It makes them much easier to deal
with and direct. I use these as intense lights for spots in normal shots
and as bright lighting for macro. The good thing about them is the fact
that they dont get very hot at the front (it's focussed at the back).
Anyhow, the housings are about $25 each and they can be easily attached
to whatever support you want, including a tripod mount. I cant remember
the brand at the moment, but I'll post it later when I get home, since
there seemed to be a few people interested last time.

ahennell

Lionel wrote:

> Speaking of which, I owe somebody here (I don't remember who) a big
> 'thank you' for suggesting quartz-halogen worklights (minus the wire
> guards) from a hardware store as a discount substitute for standard
> studio lights.

When I've done corporate/industrial work, it's far from ideal studio
conditions. I've built up a little 'field' lighitng kit' (I dont have or
use a studio, so it's silly for me to call it a field kit, but I do
anyway). gets me out of trouble in almost all circumstances.

It has:
- 4 x 500w Quartz Halogen lamps
- 2 x 150w Quarts Halogen lamps
- 2 x dimmer (suitable for either)
- 2 x small flouro banks (very similar to a small slide lightbox) (240v)
- 1 x small slide lightbox (battery or power)
- range of coloured gels, barn doors, reflecters, etc
- compulsory roll of gaffa tape, spring clamps, etc, etc.
all fits in a neat little black storage bin with a lid.
+ 3 x manfrotto light stands

Along with Nikon speedlights, radio &/or IR remotes, etc..

Lionel

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:13:22 +1000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Scott Coutts
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Yup, I've bought another one of the too. Last time, I couldnt remember
>the brand name of mine. You can also get Arlec ones which is what I use
>- they're also fro Bunnings. They're also that oh-so-unprofessional
>orange (: But hey, you can buy the Alien Bees professional monos in
>bright orange if you want (or green, or yellow, or boring black)!

I saw the Arlecs next to the Nelsons, but they were little more
expensive, had shorter power cords (1.8m vs 3m) & seemed to be otherwise
identical. Besides, I prefer yellow to orange anyway.

>Also, I have found some good, very small, steel housings for the
>downlights that I mentioned last time. It makes them much easier to deal
>with and direct. I use these as intense lights for spots in normal shots
>and as bright lighting for macro. The good thing about them is the fact
>that they dont get very hot at the front (it's focussed at the back).
>Anyhow, the housings are about $25 each and they can be easily attached
>to whatever support you want, including a tripod mount. I cant remember
>the brand at the moment, but I'll post it later when I get home, since
>there seemed to be a few people interested last time.

Yes please, I'd interested in checking them out.

Lionel

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:49:24 +1000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, ahennell
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>- 2 x 150w Quarts Halogen lamps

What do you use the 150W lamps for? Spots? Shadow killers?

>- 2 x dimmer (suitable for either)

Have you found the dimmers to cause problems with the colour
temperature? I'm hesitant to buy dimmers for my lights for that reason.

>- range of coloured gels, barn doors, reflecters, etc

I need to get these too. Any tips on cheap sources? (Particularly for
the barn doors - a friend has reccomended CC's, but I suspect they'll be
a bit pricy.)

>- compulsory roll of gaffa tape

<grin> It's not a real lighting or sound kit unless you have a couple of
rolls of gaffer tape.

ahennell

Lionel wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:49:24 +1000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, ahennell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> >- 2 x 150w Quarts Halogen lamps

> What do you use the 150W lamps for? Spots? Shadow killers?

heck - anything! illuminating back walls, killing shadows, dropping in
barrels.. anything!

There's a Kodak book "

> >- 2 x dimmer (suitable for either)

> Have you found the dimmers to cause problems with the colour
> temperature? I'm hesitant to buy dimmers for my lights for that reason.

yup - but sometimes that's nice

> >- range of coloured gels, barn doors, reflecters, etc

> I need to get these too. Any tips on cheap sources? (Particularly for
> the barn doors - a friend has reccomended CC's, but I suspect they'll be
> a bit pricy.)

I used to hang around theatres & stages & gigs a bit in light & sound techy
type roles, so I kinda accumulated a fw bits 'n pieces (and my obsession for
gaffa!). Most theatrical supply companies can supply it, or Lightmoves in
Sydney (Petersham), or similar. Good gel isn't cheap tho \

> >- compulsory roll of gaffa tape

> <grin> It's not a real lighting or sound kit unless you have a couple of
> rolls of gaffer tape.

there's nothing you cnan't do with gaffa tape & cable ties. And the little
spring clamps are just as useful - can mount a light or background almost
anywhere now )

Scott Coutts

Lionel wrote:

>>- 2 x dimmer (suitable for either)
>>

> Have you found the dimmers to cause problems with the colour
> temperature? I'm hesitant to buy dimmers for my lights for that reason.

I guess you could white-card the scene first at different brightness
levels and set the custom white balance, or set the white balance
afterwards.

ahennell

ahennell wrote:

> Lionel wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:49:24 +1000, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>, ahennell
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> >
> > >- 2 x 150w Quarts Halogen lamps

> > What do you use the 150W lamps for? Spots? Shadow killers?

> heck - anything! illuminating back walls, killing shadows, dropping in
> barrels.. anything!
>
> There's a Kodak book "

helps if I finish the sentence!!!

There's a Kodak book " Corporate and Location Photography" by Gary Gladstone -
*very* good value if you can find it. Lots of tricks.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...sbn=0879857846
or
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0879857846/

Cheers,
Andrew )

Danny Smith

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:13:04 +1000, Lionel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

....<chomp>...

>Have you found the dimmers to cause problems with the colour
>temperature? I'm hesitant to buy dimmers for my lights for that reason.

I know this is only going to be of use for the digital folk, but how
about including a grey card in each shot and shooting in RAW?

It'd mean mucking about with each shot individually, but you'd have a
pretty good chance of nailing the white balance!

Cheers,

Danny

Scott Coutts

Lionel wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:05:44 +1000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Scott Coutts
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> [dimmers on quartz-halogens]
>
>>I guess you could white-card the scene first at different brightness
>>levels and set the custom white balance, or set the white balance
>>afterwards.

> I imagine so, if you do it at the time, but I would expect to lose
> dynamic range in red & green if the correction required later (post
> shoot) is really huge. That said, I don't know nearly as much as I'd
> like to about how the camera image sensor & sense amp electronics work
> (ie; it's mostly educated guesswork, based on designing similar
> devices), so it's /possible/ that you lose dynamic range with any sort
> of WB correction.
> Boy, I sure miss the days when you got schematics when you bought
> something expensive, or least a reasonably detailed block diagram.

Lets see you get THAT out of Canon! (: It's hard enough getting any
code-based info out of them (other than the SDK).