Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anything besides an i950 that fits this?

Anything besides an i950 that fits this?

F. Todd Wilson

Hello,

I'm about to shell out for an i950, but want to make sure I haven't
overlooked an alternative printer. I'm pretty sure, though, that the
essentials leave me with the i950. Here are my priorities:

- very high quality photo prints (all else being equal, I want to have
to work a bit to be able to tell that it's from an ink-jet);
- max 8x10 size prints (no need for anything larger);
- replaceable print head (clogs on one manufacturer's printer are too
much to take);
- under $300;
- fast would be nice, but isn't as important as quality.

So, is there something other than the i950, that's equal to or better
than it in these respects, under $300?

Thanks,

Todd

David G. Stinner

Have you looked at the HP Photosmart 7550? It's $299.99. The printheads
are built into the cartridge so when you change cartridges, you are changing
printheads at the same time. Another benefit of the printhead being
built-in to the cartridge is no priming necessary, therefore no wasted ink.
"F. Todd Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to shell out for an i950, but want to make sure I haven't
> overlooked an alternative printer. I'm pretty sure, though, that the
> essentials leave me with the i950. Here are my priorities:
>
> - very high quality photo prints (all else being equal, I want to have
> to work a bit to be able to tell that it's from an ink-jet);
> - max 8x10 size prints (no need for anything larger);
> - replaceable print head (clogs on one manufacturer's printer are too
> much to take);
> - under $300;
> - fast would be nice, but isn't as important as quality.
>
> So, is there something other than the i950, that's equal to or better
> than it in these respects, under $300?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

Wayne

"David G. Stinner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<MCOLa.45663$(E-Mail Removed) .net>...
> Have you looked at the HP Photosmart 7550? It's $299.99. The printheads
> are built into the cartridge so when you change cartridges, you are changing
> printheads at the same time. Another benefit of the printhead being
> built-in to the cartridge is no priming necessary, therefore no wasted ink.

Don't compare Photosmart 7550 to Canon i950. The 7550 prints like the
old s900 and it's tiny cartidges and high prices for them, drive
people crazy. They cannot do pure bordeless photos too.

As to the printhead. Do you know that built-in printheads last the
printers life? They are not the same printheads as in hp printers,
which last one cartdidge and the printheads in nowadays Canons are
user-replaceable, not permanent.

Top printer manufacturers (Canon, Epson) are now using separable ink
tanks with built-in printheads. All I can say is that HP (not to
mention Lexmark) is still one step behind Canon and Epson in
technology.

Built-in printheads waste alomost the same amount of ink as
cartidge-integrated printheads. Not to mention the special waste ink
tank that collects the wasted ink during the printhead cleaning
process and doesn't spoil it in the printer.

Wayne

Wayne

> 1.8pl vs. Canon's 2pl
> 2800x2800dpi
> 7-colors vs. 6
> direct to CD-R disc print capability (missing in Canon)
> roll paper & auto-cutter (missing in Canon)
> etc.
> http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/produc...0c/pm980c1.htm

yeah, it's probably the most advanced epson: I have "ordered" it 2
weeks ago and can't wait till I get it.

But is it really faster than i950 ?
i950 also has cd printing module (available also only in japan)
on glossy paper, prints last 10 years on matte 20.
does it print as well as i950 on plain paper?

Wayne

John Houghton

"F. Todd Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to shell out for an i950, but want to make sure I haven't
> overlooked an alternative printer. I'm pretty sure, though, that the
> essentials leave me with the i950.

There's an interesting bit of information concerning Aug 18th that may well
interest you in the photo-i forum. See the thread at:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/cgi-bin/iko...t=ST;f=35;t=67

John