Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Purchasing a digital camera dilemma?

Purchasing a digital camera dilemma?

Lloydie

Firstly please let me apologise for cross posting, I was not sure which
newsgroup my query would be best targeted at.

I am currently about to purchase a digital camera but am torn between the
CASIO EXILIM EX-S2DDA 2.0 MP and the SONY DSC-U20S. Both appear to be
wonderfully compact and I can't seem to find one feature that gives one
preference over another, except perhaps for the Sony's lack of viewfinder
but I'm sure that can't be too much of a big deal??

If anyone anywhere can give me some pointers or tips, or maybe even show me
to a site that has some comparative images taken by the two cameras I would
be extremely grateful; I'm going on holiday in 1 week so I really need to
make my purchase by Wednesday to have it delivered on time )

Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can offer,

Gratefully,

Lloydie

Marvin Margoshes

"Lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdhodb$t4uai$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Firstly please let me apologise for cross posting, I was not sure which
> newsgroup my query would be best targeted at.
>
> I am currently about to purchase a digital camera but am torn between the
> CASIO EXILIM EX-S2DDA 2.0 MP and the SONY DSC-U20S. Both appear to be
> wonderfully compact and I can't seem to find one feature that gives one
> preference over another, except perhaps for the Sony's lack of viewfinder
> but I'm sure that can't be too much of a big deal??
>
> If anyone anywhere can give me some pointers or tips, or maybe even show

me
> to a site that has some comparative images taken by the two cameras I

would
> be extremely grateful; I'm going on holiday in 1 week so I really need to
> make my purchase by Wednesday to have it delivered on time )
>
> Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can offer,
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Lloydie

Have you checked out www.dpreview.com?

Lloydie

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Have you checked out www.dpreview.com?

Nope I hadn't that one out thanks for the pointer, I'll check that out now,
thanks a lot !

Lucas Tam

"Lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bdhodb$t4uai$1@ID-
152059.news.dfncis.de:

> I am currently about to purchase a digital camera but am torn between the
> CASIO EXILIM EX-S2DDA 2.0 MP and the SONY DSC-U20S. Both appear to be
> wonderfully compact and I can't seem to find one feature that gives one
> preference over another, except perhaps for the Sony's lack of viewfinder
> but I'm sure that can't be too much of a big deal??

How much do you want to spend? : ) The Canon Powershot S230/S400 and Pentax
Optio S are also very good choices. Probably better than the two cameras
mentioned above.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Jack Mac

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:37:36 +0100, "Lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Firstly please let me apologise for cross posting, I was not sure which
>newsgroup my query would be best targeted at.
>
>I am currently about to purchase a digital camera but am torn between the
>CASIO EXILIM EX-S2DDA 2.0 MP and the SONY DSC-U20S. Both appear to be
>wonderfully compact and I can't seem to find one feature that gives one
>preference over another, except perhaps for the Sony's lack of viewfinder
>but I'm sure that can't be too much of a big deal??
>
>If anyone anywhere can give me some pointers or tips, or maybe even show me
>to a site that has some comparative images taken by the two cameras I would
>be extremely grateful; I'm going on holiday in 1 week so I really need to
>make my purchase by Wednesday to have it delivered on time )
>
>Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can offer,
>
>Gratefully,
>
>Lloydie

I tried a Casio EXILM EX-3 for about 3 weeks and took it back.
The main problem I had with it was probably entirely my fault.
It was so small I had a hard time taking pictures without moving
the camera. I did make some pretty nice landscape photos with it
when I didn't move the camera. The dim light capabilities seemed,
to me, to be rather poor. I exchanged it for a CanonS-400. It's
some larger but fits in a shirt pocket very well. I've been completely
happy with it.
I have no experience with the Sony DSC-U20S.

Jack Mac

Joseph Meehan

Go to the shop and pick up each one. See how it feels in your hands,
see how convenient it is to view through, see how your fingers fit all the
controls. You might be sure that these things "can't be too much of a big
deal" but they are once you are using it. No one can tell you how YOU a
camera will fit you, they can only tell how it fits them.

Just like buying shoes, you got to try them on.

Now if someone has a view about how the results are, pay attention. Pay
special attention as to what they like or dislike as you might have a
different opinion about that, but in my opinion image quality is a more
universal (though not completely so) standard than some other things.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdhodb$t4uai$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Firstly please let me apologise for cross posting, I was not sure which
> newsgroup my query would be best targeted at.
>
> I am currently about to purchase a digital camera but am torn between the
> CASIO EXILIM EX-S2DDA 2.0 MP and the SONY DSC-U20S. Both appear to be
> wonderfully compact and I can't seem to find one feature that gives one
> preference over another, except perhaps for the Sony's lack of viewfinder
> but I'm sure that can't be too much of a big deal??
>
> If anyone anywhere can give me some pointers or tips, or maybe even show

me
> to a site that has some comparative images taken by the two cameras I

would
> be extremely grateful; I'm going on holiday in 1 week so I really need to
> make my purchase by Wednesday to have it delivered on time )
>
> Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can offer,
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Lloydie

Martin Francis

Re: Subject line

LOL. I've never seen them marketed as "digital camera dilemmas" before. An
accurate name, if not on that will have consumers flocking to the stores...

--
Martin
http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty

John Doh

Try here http://www.imaging-resource.com/FEAT1.HTM
"Lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdhodb$t4uai$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Firstly please let me apologise for cross posting, I was not sure which
> newsgroup my query would be best targeted at.
>
> I am currently about to purchase a digital camera but am torn between the
> CASIO EXILIM EX-S2DDA 2.0 MP and the SONY DSC-U20S. Both appear to be
> wonderfully compact and I can't seem to find one feature that gives one
> preference over another, except perhaps for the Sony's lack of viewfinder
> but I'm sure that can't be too much of a big deal??
>
> If anyone anywhere can give me some pointers or tips, or maybe even show

me
> to a site that has some comparative images taken by the two cameras I

would
> be extremely grateful; I'm going on holiday in 1 week so I really need to
> make my purchase by Wednesday to have it delivered on time )
>
> Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can offer,
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Lloydie

The Canon Powershot S230 is a great camera
I've had it for over two weeks now. Great pictures! I didn't think it
would be as easy to carry with me as the Optio S but after trying it, it
fits easily into my pockets but I still know it's there!
I've taken a few pictures while in a car as well, focuses quite nicely and
the couple of manual settings are great.

I did consider the Casio EX-s2 and Sony U20 but 3mp is quite handy, I didn't
like the "cheep" feel of the U20 and no viewfinder isn't great and I'd be
afraid to sit on/lose the Casio Ex-S2 because it's so thin!

news:Xns93A77B7928B0Fnntprogerscom@140.99.99.130.. .