Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > vhdl source cross-referencing tool

vhdl source cross-referencing tool

geoffrey wall

Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
components and
instantiations of those components?
For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't
know where it is defined (or what it does)
I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined.
another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of
entities, components
and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in
visual c++ and other
software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can
be represented graphically.
I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component
hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand
and parse through this code with some kind of tool like i have described
above.

thanks

--
Geoffrey Wall
Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering

ECE Machine Intelligence Lab
http://www.eng.fsu.edu/mil
MIL Office Phone:
850.410.6145

Center for Applied Vision and Imaging Science
http://cavis.fsu.edu/
CAVIS Office Phone:
850.645.2257

Jim Lewis

Compile it and use the simulator to trace your hierarchy.

If you have additional $$ see http://www.stelartools.com/

> Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
> components and
> instantiations of those components?
> For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't
> know where it is defined (or what it does)
> I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined.
> another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of
> entities, components
> and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in
> visual c++ and other
> software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can
> be represented graphically.
> I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component
> hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand
> and parse through this code with some kind of tool like i have described
> above.
>

> thanks

Jim Lewis
Director of Training (E-Mail Removed)
1-503-590-4787

Neil

"source insight" works... see: http://www.sourceinsight.com/

Daniel Leu

VHDLDOC might do the job:
http://schwick.home.cern.ch/schwick/...c/Welcome.html

Regards,
Daniel

Mike Treseler

geoffrey wall wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
> components and
> instantiations of those components?

http://opensource.ethz.ch/emacs/vhdl-mode.html

-- Mike Treseler

raghurash@rediffmail.com

HI,
Debussy tool may help you in this regard.
Cheers,
Raghavendra

geoffrey wall wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language
> components and
> instantiations of those components?
> For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't
> know where it is defined (or what it does)
> I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined.
> another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of
> entities, components
> and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in
> visual c++ and other
> software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can
> be represented graphically.
> I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component
> hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand
> and parse through this code with some kind of tool like i have described
> above.
>

> thanks
>
> --
> Geoffrey Wall
> Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering
> Florida State University, FAMU/FSU College of Engineering
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Cell Phone:
> 850.339.4157
>
> ECE Machine Intelligence Lab
> http://www.eng.fsu.edu/mil
> MIL Office Phone:
> 850.410.6145
>
> Center for Applied Vision and Imaging Science
> http://cavis.fsu.edu/
> CAVIS Office Phone:
> 850.645.2257

RS

You can use VIM - the free editor.
The VIM has a tag feature to jump to a component, package, signal
declaration or a procedure/function.
VIM has a plugin called project.vim which when combined with tags is
extremely powerful.
To use tags feature, you need to create a file which defines the
relation between
tag and where it is present.
I have got a perl script which can create such file for you.

The good part about this is, it is free.
The bad part is it takes some time to learn.

Shankar ((E-Mail Removed))

Ajeetha

Hi,
Which simulator do you use? I use VCS-MX and its new front-end DVE
can do this quite well. You double-click on the module/entity name and
it takes you to the definition.

HTH
Ajeetha
http://www.noveldv.com