Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > netlist from VHDL code

netlist from VHDL code

Ruby

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a cache compressor with some 8k data lines. I
mean 8k lines are the input from L1 cache to the compressor. The
compressor send the compressed output to the L2 cache or main memory.
In this simulation I don't even want to verify the functionality - as
an function(algorithm choosen for this compressor) can be implemented
in a circuit form. I would like to find out the critical path of the
circuit.

Now my problem is since the circuit is too big(too many data lines),
I don't want to draw the schematic. So Can I write the VHDL code for
the circuit and get a netlist from the code. If I can do that, then I
can run the pathmill to find the critical path of the circuit and so as
the max. delay.

Pls let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks

Mike Treseler

Ruby wrote:

> Now my problem is since the circuit is too big(too many data lines),
> I don't want to draw the schematic.

I wouldn't either.

> So Can I write the VHDL code for
> the circuit

Yes. And a testbench for it to
eliminate logical errors.

> and get a netlist from the code. If I can do that, then I
> can run the pathmill to find the critical path of the circuit and so as
> the max. delay.

Yes, a static timing analysis is the easiest way
to find the critical paths.

-- Mike Treseler.

Ruby

> > So Can I write the VHDL code for
> > the circuit

Yes. And a testbench for it to
eliminate logical errors.

What is the testbench and how to write it, Could you please mention in
more detail.

> > and get a netlist from the code. If I can do that, then I
> > can run the pathmill to find the critical path of the circuit and so as
> > the max. delay.

> Yes, a static timing analysis is the easiest way
> to find the critical paths.

I guess to get nelist, vhdl code should be structural. Could you pls
tell me, do the code have to be synthesizable code. I am not sure how
to get the netlist out of vhdl code. Could you give me some pointer in
that direction.

Thanks

Mike Treseler

Ruby wrote:

> What is the testbench and how to write it, Could you please mention in
> more detail.

You need a vhdl tutorial, a book and a simulator to get started.
Google this group for details. Do some research of your own.

> I guess to get nelist, vhdl code should be structural.

No. You need synthesis software.
You need to learn to write and test
vhdl code for synthesis.
Here is an example:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emike_treseler/uart.vhd

And a testbench:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emike_treseler/test_uart.vhd

Good luck.

-- Mike Treseler

Conformal LEC of a VHDL design (RTL Vs Netlist) sharatd VHDL 0 10-18-2006 01:57 PM
Conformal LEC of a VHDL design (RTL Vs Netlist) sharatd Hardware 0 10-18-2006 01:47 PM
netlist from VHDL code Ruby VHDL 0 06-29-2005 04:45 PM
VHDL -> PCB netlist ? Stuart J Adams VHDL 2 06-08-2005 03:28 PM
Converting synthesized VHDL/Verilog to spice netlist Noohul Ali VHDL 2 04-28-2005 11:25 AM

Advertisments