Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HDD dying ???

HDD dying ???

Johnnie Scott

Is there a tell tale sign when a hard disc is about to give up. When
starting my machine sometimes it will not boot and asks to swap the slave
for the main disc. Usually after a second try all is OK. The bios beep
sound different
Thanks
John

Deano

Johnnie Scott wrote:
> Is there a tell tale sign when a hard disc is about to give up. When
> starting my machine sometimes it will not boot and asks to swap the
> slave for the main disc. Usually after a second try all is OK. The
> bios beep sound different
> Thanks
> John

How many beeps?

If I was you I would be imaging the drive and taking a backup of the data
asap.

why?

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:27:27 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
<john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Is there a tell tale sign when a hard disc is about to give up. When
>starting my machine sometimes it will not boot and asks to swap the slave
>for the main disc. Usually after a second try all is OK. The bios beep
>sound different

As already suggexted , it sounds like time to image your disk to a
backup, products like

Ghost
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_e.../ng_index.html

Drive Image
http://www.paragon.ag/

Depends if your system knows about SMART and it's supported by the
drives and if it's Windows there are several SMART monitoring apps.

PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard disk drive monitoring software
PassMark DiskCheckup - View and monitor a hard disk drives SMART
attributes and
other information.
www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Active SMART - Hard drive diagnostic and failure prediction using ...
A hard disk status analyzer and failure prediction software it uses
SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) to monitor
the health
status ...
www.ariolic.com/activesmart/ - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

For a non Windows OS, try your favorite search engine.

>Thanks
>John

Me