Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors

I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors

Kenny S

I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors

This is a laptop.
1) I need this because I cannot use the CD because its broken
2) the XP boot disks create the same ntfs.sys error (blue screen) when I try
to start the recovery console pressing R

3) The blue screen tells me to use chkdsk /f to check the disk, but I cannot
get into the recovery console in order to do the chkdsk! thats why I need
another disk that can check the hard disk for errors!

thanks

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

Toolman Tim

Kenny S wrote:
> I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors
>

> This is a laptop.
> 1) I need this because I cannot use the CD because its broken
> 2) the XP boot disks create the same ntfs.sys error (blue screen)
> when I try to start the recovery console pressing R
>
> 3) The blue screen tells me to use chkdsk /f to check the disk, but I
> cannot get into the recovery console in order to do the chkdsk! thats
> why I need another disk that can check the hard disk for errors!

Not likely. TIf it were mine, I'd take the drive out, put on a 2.5" to 3.5 "
adapter (or put it in my USB drive enclosure), plug it into a desktop, run
chkdsk there. And I think you want to run chkdsk /r (recover as well as fix)
instead.

like an idiot.

why?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:18:08 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

>Kenny S wrote:
>> I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors
>>
>> This is a laptop.
>> 1) I need this because I cannot use the CD because its broken
>> 2) the XP boot disks create the same ntfs.sys error (blue screen)
>> when I try to start the recovery console pressing R

<snip>

>Not likely. TIf it were mine, I'd take the drive out, put on a 2.5" to 3.5 "
>adapter (or put it in my USB drive enclosure), plug it into a desktop, run
>chkdsk there. And I think you want to run chkdsk /r (recover as well as fix)
>instead.

Yep, would do the same thing.

Me

Al Klein

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:53:04 +0300, "Kenny S" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
alt.comp.freeware:

>I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors

<http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/>

"NTFS4DOS offers full access to NTFS based file systems with a single
boot floppy. "

Kenny S

this little free program saved me
http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

why?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:46:10 +0300, Kenny S wrote:

>this little free program saved me
>http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

What program it's just a URL?

Me

why?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:17:15 -0400, Al Klein wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:53:04 +0300, "Kenny S" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
>alt.comp.freeware:
>
>>I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors

><http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/>
>
>"NTFS4DOS offers full access to NTFS based file systems with a single
>boot floppy. "

Fine I guess as long as the file system errors are fixed first.

And some of the free Linux boot disks as well.

Me

why?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:17:15 -0400, Al Klein wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:53:04 +0300, "Kenny S" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
>alt.comp.freeware:
>
>>I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors

><http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/>
>
>"NTFS4DOS offers full access to NTFS based file systems with a single
>boot floppy. "

For repair jobs, would recommend NTFSDOS from www.sysinternals.com ,
it's read only, just that bit safer to check with first when looking at
a disk. If the data is accessable then use another utility to recover
data.

Me

Kenny S

this little free program saved me
http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914
"Kenny S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
>I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors
>

> This is a laptop.
> 1) I need this because I cannot use the CD because its broken
> 2) the XP boot disks create the same ntfs.sys error (blue screen) when I
> try to start the recovery console pressing R
>
> 3) The blue screen tells me to use chkdsk /f to check the disk, but I
> cannot get into the recovery console in order to do the chkdsk! thats why
> I need another disk that can check the hard disk for errors!
>

> thanks

> HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
> Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

PC

"Kenny S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
>I need a bootable floppy disk that can scan NTFS for errors
>

> This is a laptop.
> 1) I need this because I cannot use the CD because its broken
> 2) the XP boot disks create the same ntfs.sys error (blue screen) when I
> try to start the recovery console pressing R
>
> 3) The blue screen tells me to use chkdsk /f to check the disk, but I
> cannot get into the recovery console in order to do the chkdsk! thats why
> I need another disk that can check the hard disk for errors!
>

> thanks

> HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
> Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

Kenny

Had a similar case on a Desktop recently, turned out to be the drive itself
was crook.
Best course of action is to remove the drive and mount it as a slave in
another PC for diagnostic/repair work.

Cheers
Paul.