Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Or'ing output from conditionally generated instances

Or'ing output from conditionally generated instances

Brandon

I have a set of generated instances and I'd like to OR all their ports
of type std_logic. The structures are generated according to a
parameter, so I can't manually write out the logic equation, which
would be quite tedious anyways. How could I go about doing this?

I think that it's probably possible to use a for loop and do an OR
accumulation. I've compiled the following successfully:

<SNIP>
architecture rtl_ar of myentity is
-- array of std_logic:
signal mac_douten : ARRAYOFSTDL_T(CONSTANT_C downto 0);
..
..
..
comb_proc: process (...,mac_douten)
variable douten_oraccum : std_logic;

begin

Duane Clark

Brandon wrote:
> I have a set of generated instances and I'd like to OR all their ports
> of type std_logic. The structures are generated according to a
> parameter, so I can't manually write out the logic equation, which
> would be quite tedious anyways. How could I go about doing this?
>
> I think that it's probably possible to use a for loop and do an OR
> accumulation. I've compiled the following successfully:
>
> <SNIP>

Yep, that works fine. I have used that exact technique before. The
synthesis tool I have used handled it just fine.