Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > How to save line in VHDL?

How to save line in VHDL?

magik

Another problem:

I have one part of the data inside my procedure and those data I want to
save into one line in OUTFILE .
The other part is in main process (where this procedure is calling).
How can I save both parts in one line?
VHDL doesn't have pointers to strings ect...

Is it possible to put data from procedure into a string and add to line in
the main process?

Paul

Ajeetha

Hi Paul,
Don't clearly understand your exact issue, but it looks like
with concatenation you should be able to do this. Can you show a sample
piece of code? Idea would be, to pass the part of data inside your
procedure to the calling process and then concatenate that with the
main data and print.

HTH
Aji
http://www.noveldv.com

magik

The procedure reads data from 8-bit vector (in real it is more complicated
and takes about 200lines of code so it will be not very nice if I paste 2
times the same code into main process - that's why I decided for procedure)

In the main process I have 2 inputs A and B and depending from them I want
to save data from procedure in one of two places is my out file:

---------------------------------
| A | B | data A | data B |
| 1 | | a2 12 32 | | <-- when A is pressed
| | 1 | | 34 aa 45 | <-- when B is pressed
(data in columns "dataA/B" is from procedure)

If I will not find any good solution, I will have to decide what is better:

1 copy procedure into 2 places in main process
or
2. copy logic from main process into the procedure...

(the second will take less lines)

Paul

info_

magik wrote:
> Another problem:
>
> I have one part of the data inside my procedure and those data I want to
> save into one line in OUTFILE .
> The other part is in main process (where this procedure is calling).
> How can I save both parts in one line?

You're unclear.
Maybe you didn't realize that you can write to a shared buffer (line)
and that no Cr is appended until you writeline ?

> VHDL doesn't have pointers to strings ect...

Yes ! VHDL does. (what do you think type "line" is ?)

I think it's a good idea you dig a bit more in the language.
Good investment if I may suggest
Hint : you could start with the line type.

Bert Cuzeau.