Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > smallest legible font?

smallest legible font?

BeeVee

X-No-Archive:Yes
.--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-..-.-- - .... .. ...

http://www.babbage.demon.co.uk/morseabc.html
"Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>
> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
> 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>
> tia
> _____
> Slack

Patrick Cleburne

"Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>
> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
> 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>
> tia
> _____
> Slack

You'd be better served putting your time in to what to put on the card
rather than worrying about the font size. That's why your professor told you
you could bring the card-- to force you to focus on the key points of the
course.

But what can you expect from a guy named Slacker

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Slack wrote:
> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>
> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
> 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>
> tia
> _____
> Slack

Not that this will help you now, I'm sure your test is over. But I got
curious and printed out a test message on my HP1012 laser in both Arial
and Times Roman.

10 Pts easy to read.

8 Pts easy to read.

6 Pts readable but starting to get difficult (my eyes have a few years
on them)

4 Pts still readable, more squinting needed

2 Pts looks like a small worm took a dump, but was still clearly
readable with a good magnifying glass.

1 Pt - what, you think I'm crazy? Didn't even try printing it.

Slack

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> "Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>>
>>I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
>>3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>>
>>tia
>>_____
>>Slack

> You'd be better served putting your time in to what to put on the card
> rather than worrying about the font size. That's why your professor told you
> you could bring the card-- to force you to focus on the key points of the
> course.

Yep, agreed... already done. I really like these cards and think I just
found a new study method for myself.

> But what can you expect from a guy named Slacker

Exactly!

Slack

Rgr wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>>
>> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
>> one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>>
>> tia
>> _____
>> Slack

> Not that this will help you now, I'm sure your test is over. But I got
> curious and printed out a test message on my HP1012 laser in both Arial
> and Times Roman.
>
> 10 Pts easy to read.
>
> 8 Pts easy to read.
>
> 6 Pts readable but starting to get difficult (my eyes have a few years
> on them)
>
> 4 Pts still readable, more squinting needed
>
> 2 Pts looks like a small worm took a dump, but was still clearly
> readable with a good magnifying glass.
>
> 1 Pt - what, you think I'm crazy? Didn't even try printing it.

Thanks for trying anyway... appreciated.

I found the Centaur 8 pt was the best compromise between smallness and
legibility.

So anyway, I walk in with my little laser printed 3x5. Sit down and
start the test. Out of the 66 questions, I think I used my card to
confirm only 3 or 4 of the questions. I thunk I actually learned
something in the process of making the card ;-P

I should have an easy B, poss A in the class.
_____
Slack

Al

I guess it depends on your eyesight.....
"Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>
> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
> 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>
> tia
> _____
> Slack

Toolman Tim

Al wrote:
> I guess it depends on your eyesight.....

Living in the past, eh, Al?

Why respond to a post about a test 7 days AFTER the aforementioned test?

> "Slack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
>>
>> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
>> one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it
>>
>> tia
>> _____
>> Slack

rjk rjk is offline
Junior Member

Mike Easter, above, wins the thread. He's obviously smart, if a little less than bold on this one (I say do it and make them give you a receipt---and yes I know this event was far in the past. How did it work out for you?).

The smallest font on a 3x5 depends on two things:
1) Getting a vector font format
2) Printing using a very high resolution printer.

Step 1 is easy with modern computers. Any decent Times New Roman font will be understood by the computer as a geometry of curves of enclosed shapes, NOT as a grid of pixels. Imagine the difference between using Photoshop to "enlarge" a digital photo (which adds no new information, only makes it appear bigger on a display) versus setting up the shot again and taking a picture with closer lenses (which does add information). Bottom-line: this one is probably not a problem.

Step 2 is the hard part. I would probably go to a professional print shop (even Kinkos would work) and ask them what their highest resolution printer is, and do a test print, then do the real one.

Also, you could easily make 4 fit on one page: 3"x5" times 2 = 6x10, which is plenty of room for margins and cutting tolerance on a standard 8.5"x11". Don't forget the reverse side of the card!.

Much love in Christ.
- Ryan King

Last edited by rjk; 01-20-2011 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Removing spurious punctuation.