Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express Running As A Local

Reply
Thread Tools

Outlook Express Running As A Local

 
 
turboart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005
I am running OE6 and Win98SE. Suddenly, after 5 problem-free years,
something has fouled up OE. It started out when I could not reach my
ISP's SMTP server with a message that I was replying to. Then I
couldn't send anything although I was receiving messages just fine.
Tech support had me uninstall McAfee, which I really never used or
updated. They also had me remove my account info from OE and then put
it back in. I can now receive messages as well as send, BUT:
OE now takes about 1 minute to fully boot whereas it used to do it
instantly. Further, it takes about 45 seconds for the first window
(either create New Message or read old message) to open whereas that
used to happen instantly. Subsequent message windows do open
instantly. There are a few other oddities with OE and my connect
software. Everything else with the computer works just fine. I ran
Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk, and Disk Defrag, but no change.
Any thoughts?
....Art

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005
turboart wrote:
> I am running OE6 and Win98SE. Suddenly, after 5 problem-free years,
> something has fouled up OE. It started out when I could not reach my
> ISP's SMTP server with a message that I was replying to. Then I
> couldn't send anything although I was receiving messages just fine.
> Tech support had me uninstall McAfee, which I really never used or
> updated. They also had me remove my account info from OE and then put
> it back in. I can now receive messages as well as send, BUT:
> OE now takes about 1 minute to fully boot whereas it used to do it
> instantly. Further, it takes about 45 seconds for the first window
> (either create New Message or read old message) to open whereas that
> used to happen instantly. Subsequent message windows do open
> instantly. There are a few other oddities with OE and my connect
> software. Everything else with the computer works just fine. I ran
> Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk, and Disk Defrag, but no change.
> Any thoughts?
> ...Art


Have you run the OE maintenance tools?

Click on Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Clean Up Now.

--
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
like an idiot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
turboart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005

Toolman Tim wrote:
>
> Have you run the OE maintenance tools?
>
> Click on Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Clean Up Now.
>
> --


When I do that, I get some buttons that look like I'm going to wipe out
my stored messages if I click on them. I really don't want to do that!
....Art

 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005
turboart wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>> Have you run the OE maintenance tools?
>>
>> Click on Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Clean Up Now.
>>
>> --

>
> When I do that, I get some buttons that look like I'm going to wipe
> out my stored messages if I click on them. I really don't want to do
> that! ...Art


Press the OTHER button. The one that says Compact.

--
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
like an idiot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a outlook express folder does not show in local folders Jer Computer Support 2 10-22-2007 08:47 AM
Add domain user to local group via web application running under local admin account Chad Dressler ASP .Net 0 12-30-2006 01:27 AM
I can't get Outlook Express and XP Pro to play togehter - Outlook Express just doesn't start. Marc Computer Support 5 08-22-2006 10:46 PM
Access local port or Running local exe file =?Utf-8?B?WVNVVA==?= ASP .Net 0 01-14-2006 12:41 AM
Outlook Express local folders MGT Computer Support 10 08-12-2004 04:29 AM



Advertisments