Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > 70-292, Question about Root Hints - Windows Server 2003 DNS

70-292, Question about Root Hints - Windows Server 2003 DNS

Sam

Here is the question from Transcender..

You administer your company network, which consists of a single AD
domain. The network is not connected to the Internet. The network
contains 2 Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, 10 Windows Server
2003 member servers and 100 Windows XP pro client computers. Server01
hosts a standard primary DNS zone for the AD domain.

You must ensure that if a DNS client queries Server01 for external name
resolution, Server01 will not attempt to contact DNS servers outside
the corporate network.

Which of the following should you do?

a Remove all entries from the Root Hints tab
b Clear the DNS server cache
c Disable recursion
d Remove all forwarders from the Forwarders tab.

According to Transcender the answer is "c".
I think answer could be "a", what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Wayne

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Here is the question from Transcender..
>
> You administer your company network, which consists of a single AD
> domain. The network is not connected to the Internet. The network
> contains 2 Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, 10 Windows Server
> 2003 member servers and 100 Windows XP pro client computers. Server01
> hosts a standard primary DNS zone for the AD domain.
>
> You must ensure that if a DNS client queries Server01 for external name
> resolution, Server01 will not attempt to contact DNS servers outside
> the corporate network.
>
> Which of the following should you do?
>
> a Remove all entries from the Root Hints tab
> b Clear the DNS server cache
> c Disable recursion
> d Remove all forwarders from the Forwarders tab.
>
> According to Transcender the answer is "c".
> I think answer could be "a", what do you guys think?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Sam

Did you read the references Transcender gave you? Have you Google-d? Have
you read RFC's 1034 and 1035? Saying "I think answer *could* be a" is pure
laziness, give us some proof of research and we'll gladly help you work
through the answer.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver, MCP Windows 95

Sam

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your reply. But i did my research and also tried on my
practic network at home and it looks like both will work but answer
provided by Transcender is easier to implement.

Thanks,

Sam

=?Utf-8?B?YWx0MTQ2?=

Hi Sam
"a" & "c" both have same output for dns service, but if you disable
recursion when you have no internet name resolving, DNS work faster, because
if recursion is enable and you remove all enteries from the root hint tab,
DNS service must check the empty list at each client query.

good luck

"Sam" wrote:

> Here is the question from Transcender..
>
> You administer your company network, which consists of a single AD
> domain. The network is not connected to the Internet. The network
> contains 2 Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, 10 Windows Server
> 2003 member servers and 100 Windows XP pro client computers. Server01
> hosts a standard primary DNS zone for the AD domain.
>
> You must ensure that if a DNS client queries Server01 for external name
> resolution, Server01 will not attempt to contact DNS servers outside
> the corporate network.
>
> Which of the following should you do?
>
> a Remove all entries from the Root Hints tab
> b Clear the DNS server cache
> c Disable recursion
> d Remove all forwarders from the Forwarders tab.
>
> According to Transcender the answer is "c".
> I think answer could be "a", what do you guys think?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Sam

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=

You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need to
provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the root
hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

"Sam" wrote:

> Here is the question from Transcender..
>
> You administer your company network, which consists of a single AD
> domain. The network is not connected to the Internet. The network
> contains 2 Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, 10 Windows Server
> 2003 member servers and 100 Windows XP pro client computers. Server01
> hosts a standard primary DNS zone for the AD domain.
>
> You must ensure that if a DNS client queries Server01 for external name
> resolution, Server01 will not attempt to contact DNS servers outside
> the corporate network.
>
> Which of the following should you do?
>
> a Remove all entries from the Root Hints tab
> b Clear the DNS server cache
> c Disable recursion
> d Remove all forwarders from the Forwarders tab.
>
> According to Transcender the answer is "c".
> I think answer could be "a", what do you guys think?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Sam

Frisbee«

"Joboo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need
> provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the
> root
> hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
> quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
> have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
> forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
> Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
> servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

While I understand your point, I beg to differ. When taking tests designed
by Microsoft, one should not necessarily provide the "Best" answer so much
as one should provide the "Microsoft" answer.

Anyone who has taken the MCSD solution architectures exam would understand
exactly where I'm coming from on this.

MitchS

"Joboo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need
> provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the
> root
> hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
> quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
> have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
> forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
> Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
> servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

I'm ****ed now, Joboo. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me
now, I say, fu** you, Joboo. I do it myself.

--
Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=

Maybe I used the wrong wording but your are correct. You need to provide the
"Microsoft" Answer which when I take Microsoft Exams = the best answer.

"Frisbee®" wrote:

> "Joboo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need
> > provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the
> > root
> > hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
> > quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
> > have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
> > forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
> > Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
> > servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

> While I understand your point, I beg to differ. When taking tests designed
> by Microsoft, one should not necessarily provide the "Best" answer so much
> as one should provide the "Microsoft" answer.
>
> Anyone who has taken the MCSD solution architectures exam would understand
> exactly where I'm coming from on this.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=

Hey Bartender!! Joboo needs a refill!

"MitchS" wrote:

> "Joboo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need
> > provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the
> > root
> > hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
> > quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
> > have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
> > forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
> > Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
> > servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

> I'm ****ed now, Joboo. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me
> now, I say, fu** you, Joboo. I do it myself.
>
> --
> Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
> MCNGP XLVIII (Now do the other certs REALLY matter?)
> Stupidity on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Frisbee«

"Joboo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe I used the wrong wording but your are correct. You need to provide
> the
> "Microsoft" Answer which when I take Microsoft Exams = the best answer.

You missed my point. You do indeed need to provide the "Microsoft" answer,
but that is not always necessarily the "best" or even "correct" answer.