Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Select of invisible text

Select of invisible text

Ig

Hello,
I have a text in my page that I made its font of white color to be
invisible.
But when I select with cursor this part of the page all words become
visible.
How could this be prevented?

Thank you.

Jonathan N. Little

Ig wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a text in my page that I made its font of white color to be
> invisible.
> But when I select with cursor this part of the page all words become
> visible.
> How could this be prevented?

Don't put them there! Why are your trying so hard to content that cannot
be seen. Not user friendly to require a secret decoder ring to view your
pages.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Ig

This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And it
works !
So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.
Thank you.

news:445c1ea6$0$3706$(E-Mail Removed).. .

Ig wrote:
> This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And it
> works !
> So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is wrong if the search keywords apply to
the auction that they would not be appropriate to be used within your
description!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ig" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

Please do not top post -- top posting corrected

> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:445c1ea6$0$3706$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Ig wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I have a text in my page that I made its font of white color to be
>>> invisible.
>>> But when I select with cursor this part of the page all words become
>>> visible.
>>> How could this be prevented?

>> Don't put them there! Why are your trying so hard to content that
>> cannot be seen. Not user friendly to require a secret decoder ring to
>> view your pages.

> This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And
> it works !
> So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.
> Thank you.

You could very easily run afoul of Ebay and any other search engine,
Google in particular. This is _not_ and good thing to do, and Ebay's
policy may result in a range of actions including:
1. Listing cancellation
2. Limits on account privileges
3. Account suspension
4. Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
5. Loss of PowerSeller status

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Ig

Didn't think about this...
Anyway, it would be interesting to know technical aspect of this issue - is
it possible to avoid selection on part of a page.
Thank you guys for your advices.

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97BADEB97CA7Aarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ig" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> Please do not top post -- top posting corrected
>>
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:445c1ea6$0$3706$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>
>>> Don't put them there! Why are your trying so hard to content that
>>> cannot be seen. Not user friendly to require a secret decoder ring to
>>> view your pages.

>> This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And
>> it works !
>> So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.
>> Thank you.

> You could very easily run afoul of Ebay and any other search engine,
> Google in particular. This is _not_ and good thing to do, and Ebay's
> policy may result in a range of actions including:
> 1. Listing cancellation
> 2. Limits on account privileges
> 3. Account suspension
> 4. Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
> 5. Loss of PowerSeller status
>

> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Toby Inkster

Ig wrote:

> This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And it
> works !

Doesn't eBay's search work if you type the text in black-on-white?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Nije Nego

On Fri, 5 May 2006 23:28:13 -0600, Ig wrote:

Please do not top post!
It is difficult to follow the thread if you do.

>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ig" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> Please do not top post -- top posting corrected
>>>
>>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:445c1ea6$0$3706$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> This is the only way I found to make eBay's search to work for me. And
>>> it works !
>>> So please, I need technical solution and not life advices.
>>> Thank you.

>> You could very easily run afoul of Ebay and any other search engine,
>> Google in particular. This is _not_ and good thing to do, and Ebay's
>> policy may result in a range of actions including:
>> 1. Listing cancellation
>> 2. Limits on account privileges
>> 3. Account suspension
>> 4. Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
>> 5. Loss of PowerSeller status
>>

>> --
>> Adrienne Boswell
>> Please respond to the group so others can share
>> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

> Didn't think about this...
> Anyway, it would be interesting to know technical aspect of this issue - is
> it possible to avoid selection on part of a page.
> Thank you guys for your advices.
>
> "Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns97BADEB97CA7Aarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..

Having text displayed on the page (even in white - it is still a text and
that's why Ebay can read it), the only technical solution - not to see it
when selected - is to close your eyes, and also try to force all other
users to do it.

You could also consider to put text in a element which would have atribute
hidden in css, but I do not think you are familliar with css.

I am certain that you will be penalized for doing this - cheating.

--
buy, bought, bye

Jukka K. Korpela

Ig wrote:

> Didn't think about this...

I cannot disagree with that. You don't seem to be doing much thinking
even now, since you keep ignoring good advice on posting style. This is
effectively equivalent to begging to be plonked.

> Anyway, it would be interesting to know technical aspect of this issue - is
> it possible to avoid selection on part of a page.

Well, the technical aspect would quite apparently be far above your
current skill set. Those of us who could give you technical advice on
superficially improving the effectiveness of your hidden keyword
spamming will probably and hopefully avoid doing so.

The bottom line still is that your attempts to distort search engine
results by invisible keywords will inevitably fail, sooner or later.
There are measures against such abuse.

Michael Laplante

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> Ig wrote:

Without commenting on the questionabililty or logic of this tactic, couldn't
he put the text in a container of some sort and use the visibility attribute
to prevent it from showing? Would search engines still pick up on the text?
(leaving aside the issue of whether the web page will be up long enough for
the next sweep. )