Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox Cookies?

Firefox Cookies?

1 of 1

I'm trying to establish how a cookie from imrworldwide.com is getting
onto my computer. It's either OptusNet (my ISP) or Firefox. Does Firefox
use any such cookies?

gwtc

1 of 1 wrote:
> I'm trying to establish how a cookie from imrworldwide.com is getting
> onto my computer. It's either OptusNet (my ISP) or Firefox. Does Firefox
> use any such cookies?

Of course FF uses cookies. Look in the cookie manager: Tools,
Options, Privacy, Cookies, and View Cookies button

--
How to Get a Life
Difficulty Level: Hard

John

On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:09:40 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)37> wrote:

>1 of 1 wrote:
>> I'm trying to establish how a cookie from imrworldwide.com is getting
>> onto my computer. It's either OptusNet (my ISP) or Firefox. Does Firefox
>> use any such cookies?

>Of course FF uses cookies. Look in the cookie manager: Tools,
>Options, Privacy, Cookies, and View Cookies button

I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's question is "Does Firefox set
cookies?"
John <><

gwtc

John <>< wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:09:40 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)37> wrote:
>

>>1 of 1 wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to establish how a cookie from imrworldwide.com is getting
>>>onto my computer. It's either OptusNet (my ISP) or Firefox. Does Firefox
>>>use any such cookies?

>>Of course FF uses cookies. Look in the cookie manager: Tools,
>>Options, Privacy, Cookies, and View Cookies button

> I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's question is "Does Firefox set
> cookies?"
> John <><

if the OP has the option to accept cookies, then yes, a cookie will be
placed. If he has it no to accept cookies, then no, no cookie will be
placed.

--

gwtc wrote:
> John <>< wrote:

>>> Of course FF uses cookies. Look in the cookie manager: Tools,
>>> Options, Privacy, Cookies, and View Cookies button

>> I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's question is "Does
>> Firefox set
>> cookies?"
>> John <><

> if the OP has the option to accept cookies, then yes, a cookie will be
> placed. If he has it no to accept cookies, then no, no cookie will be
> placed.

I obviously didn't word it very well. Why does Firefox set a cookie from
imrworldwide.com when I haven't accessed that site or any link that
points to that site?

gwtc

1 of 1 wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>John <>< wrote:

>>>I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's question is "Does
>>>Firefox set
>>>cookies?"
>>>John <><

>>if the OP has the option to accept cookies, then yes, a cookie will be
>>placed. If he has it no to accept cookies, then no, no cookie will be
>>placed.
>>

> I obviously didn't word it very well. Why does Firefox set a cookie from
> imrworldwide.com when I haven't accessed that site or any link that
> points to that site?

If you visited site A, then that site can and will give you cookies
from Site B, C, and even D or more. You don't have have to visit the
site. Just a site that will give you these unwanted cookies.

Also, when you visit a site, the contents may come from several
servers. Look under Tools, Options, Content, and you will see "Load
Images" should be checked, and "from the originating web site only"
should be unchecked. This means that the images may come from more
than one server. Yahoo, Google, MS, and many others do this.

--

gwtc wrote:
> 1 of 1 wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> if the OP has the option to accept cookies, then yes, a cookie will
>>> be placed. If he has it no to accept cookies, then no, no cookie
>>> will be placed.
>>>

>> I obviously didn't word it very well. Why does Firefox set a cookie from
>> imrworldwide.com when I haven't accessed that site or any link that
>> points to that site?

> If you visited site A, then that site can and will give you cookies from
> Site B, C, and even D or more. You don't have have to visit the site.
> Just a site that will give you these unwanted cookies.
>
> Also, when you visit a site, the contents may come from several
> servers. Look under Tools, Options, Content, and you will see "Load
> Images" should be checked, and "from the originating web site only"
> should be unchecked. This means that the images may come from more than
> one server. Yahoo, Google, MS, and many others do this.

ty