Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Framesets

Framesets

Gregc.

G'day

I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

Greg

Travis Newbury

Gregc. wrote:
> G'day

Hi

> I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
> left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

<snip>

> ...Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

ME FIRST, ME FIRST,

You can overcome it by losing the frames....

Paul Watt

"Gregc." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> G'day
>
> I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
> left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:
>
> HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
> </FRAMESET>
>
> </HTML>
>
> However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
> welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
> about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.
>
> Greg

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...are+evil&meta=

but if you still instist on useing frames(i pray you wont) look up the
target attribute.

Paul

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Gregc. wrote:

> G'day
>
> I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
> left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:
>
> HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
> </FRAMESET>
>
> </HTML>
>
> However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
> welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
> about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
In the section above, it should be like this:
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
<FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
</FRAMESET>

Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.

On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Gregc.

Kim André Akerĝ wrote:
> How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
> In the section above, it should be like this:
> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
> <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
> </FRAMESET>
>
> Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.
>
> On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
> frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
>
> --

Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
<HTML>

<FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
<FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
instead of the right.
Greg

Jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Gregc. <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Kim André Akerĝ wrote:
>> How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
>> In the section above, it should be like this:
>> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
>> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
>> <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
>> </FRAMESET>
>>
>> Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.
>>
>> On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
>> frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
>> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
>>
>> --

>Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
><HTML>
>
> <FRAMESET>
> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
> <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
> <FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
> <FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
> </FRAMESET>
>
></HTML>
>
>But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
>instead of the right.
>Greg

Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?

BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.

--
Jake ((E-Mail Removed) -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

Gregc.

Jake wrote:
> Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
> a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?
>
> BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.
>

> --

I can't give you the url, because I am developing the site from
scratch. I thouhg name="main" refers to the right hand side of the
frame.

Greg

Gregc. wrote:

> Kim André Akerĝ wrote:
> > How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the
> > frameset? In the section above, it should be like this:
> > <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> > <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
> > <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
> > </FRAMESET>
> >
> > Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.
> >
> > On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
> > frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
> > http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
> >
> > --

> Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
> <HTML>
>
> <FRAMESET>
> <FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> <FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
> <FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
> <FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
> <FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
> </FRAMESET>
>
> </HTML>
>
> But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
> instead of the right.
> Greg

Yes, but since you've specified only 2 columns in the <frameset> tag,
the browser probably ignores that setup and does things its own way.
If you rather did <FRAMESET COLS="200,*,*,*" ...>, you might get a
different result.

Also, having three frames with the same name defies the purpose of
having named frames at all. In your nav_.htm file, links will be
defined as <a href="url" target="Main">, which makes the selected URL
open in the specified frame with the name "Main" (or anything else you
write in the "target" attribute).

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- (E-Mail Removed)
(remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> but if you still instist on useing frames(i pray you wont) look up the
> target attribute.

You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.

--
dorayme

Gregc.

dorayme wrote:

> You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.
>
> --

The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
the display on the right side.

Greg