Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Getting File Path in Browse File Dialog in ASP.Net

Getting File Path in Browse File Dialog in ASP.Net

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVuIDIwMDU=?=

Hi everybody,

I like to allow user to select and browse to which location to save the
pdf file of a crystal report viewed on a web page, how can i do this in
ASP.Net? I need to get the path selected from dialog box. Thanks.

Note: Using VS 2002

den2005
--
MCP Year 2005, Philippines

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You are talking about a path on the server?

You can use server.mappath and create a mechanism that pulls a tree up and
down from that position, but it is far better to give them set locations,
even if it includes making a new directory. There are a couple of reasons
this is true:

Security - when you open up the directory access to the web, a hacker can
traverse your system and takeover. IIS 6 will try to help you in this
regard, but allowing a user unfettered access to save locations requires
turing this feature off.

Security - you are exposing the layout of your application and the server

Performance - either you gather a bunch of info and present up front or you
have a lot of trips back to the server.
--
Gregory A. Beamer

Think Outside the Box!
"den 2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I like to allow user to select and browse to which location to save the
> pdf file of a crystal report viewed on a web page, how can i do this in
> ASP.Net? I need to get the path selected from dialog box. Thanks.
>
> Note: Using VS 2002
>

> den2005
> --
> MCP Year 2005, Philippines

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVuIDIwMDU=?=

HI Gregory,

Thanks for the reply. That is the requirement, to save the crystal report
as pdf file in the local pc folder location chosen by user like downloading a
file from the web. I need to get the selected path and save the crystal
report as pdf file on that path. So, How is this done??

dennis

--
MCP Year 2005, Philippines

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:

> You are talking about a path on the server?
>
> You can use server.mappath and create a mechanism that pulls a tree up and
> down from that position, but it is far better to give them set locations,
> even if it includes making a new directory. There are a couple of reasons
> this is true:
>
> Security - when you open up the directory access to the web, a hacker can
> traverse your system and takeover. IIS 6 will try to help you in this
> regard, but allowing a user unfettered access to save locations requires
> turing this feature off.
>
> Security - you are exposing the layout of your application and the server
>
> Performance - either you gather a bunch of info and present up front or you
> have a lot of trips back to the server.
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer

> Think Outside the Box!
> "den 2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I like to allow user to select and browse to which location to save the
> > pdf file of a crystal report viewed on a web page, how can i do this in
> > ASP.Net? I need to get the path selected from dialog box. Thanks.
> >
> > Note: Using VS 2002
> >

> > den2005
> > --
> > MCP Year 2005, Philippines

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVuIDIwMDU=?=

This problem has been resolved using FileStream and Response.BinaryWrite().

den2005
--
MCP Year 2005, Philippines

"den 2005" wrote:

> HI Gregory,
>
> Thanks for the reply. That is the requirement, to save the crystal report
> as pdf file in the local pc folder location chosen by user like downloading a
> file from the web. I need to get the selected path and save the crystal
> report as pdf file on that path. So, How is this done??
>

> dennis
>
> --
> MCP Year 2005, Philippines
>

> "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:
>
> > You are talking about a path on the server?
> >
> > You can use server.mappath and create a mechanism that pulls a tree up and
> > down from that position, but it is far better to give them set locations,
> > even if it includes making a new directory. There are a couple of reasons
> > this is true:
> >
> > Security - when you open up the directory access to the web, a hacker can
> > traverse your system and takeover. IIS 6 will try to help you in this
> > regard, but allowing a user unfettered access to save locations requires
> > turing this feature off.
> >
> > Security - you are exposing the layout of your application and the server
> >
> > Performance - either you gather a bunch of info and present up front or you
> > have a lot of trips back to the server.
> > --
> > Gregory A. Beamer

> > Think Outside the Box!
> > "den 2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I like to allow user to select and browse to which location to save the
> > > pdf file of a crystal report viewed on a web page, how can i do this in
> > > ASP.Net? I need to get the path selected from dialog box. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Note: Using VS 2002
> > >

> > > den2005
> > > --
> > > MCP Year 2005, Philippines

Assigning value to Browse button without using browse button in HTML balakrishnan.dinesh@gmail.com Javascript 0 10-12-2007 06:45 AM
Internet Explorer 6 Can't Browse, Other Programs Browse Fine... Ike Computer Support 1 08-02-2005 09:20 PM
Browse file dialog box... FlashT HTML 1 04-08-2005 11:16 PM
Change "File of Type" in the Browse File dialog box. Jen ASP .Net Web Controls 4 02-12-2004 10:06 AM
Browse File dialog Anita C ASP .Net 2 12-01-2003 05:26 PM

Advertisments