Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Finding mac address of the pc attached on a switchport

Finding mac address of the pc attached on a switchport

RTR

I have a cisco 2950 switch. I want to find out what is the mac address
of the pc that is attached to that particular port.
without physically going to the pc and looking it up , how can find it
on a cisco switch.

Thanks for all the info.

RTR

RTR wrote:
> I have a cisco 2950 switch. I want to find out what is the mac address
> of the pc that is attached to that particular port.
> without physically going to the pc and looking it up , how can find it
> on a cisco switch.

For example:

switch-1#show mac-address-table interface fastEthernet 0/2
Mac Address Table

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports
10 0006.d7fc.41d0 DYNAMIC Fa0/2
Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 1

Or in reverse if you have the IP but don't have the MAC:

# ping aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

# show ip arp aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
Internet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 132 abcd.1234.5678 ARPA Vlan10

# show mac-address-table dynamic address abcd.1234.5678