Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > easiest way to encode a file?

easiest way to encode a file?

tiewknvc9

Im trying to encode the data that I save in my applications saved
files, basically I just want to find something simpley implemented and
dependable on the conversions.

is there anything in the Java api that Im missing that may be able to
help me with this? Or will I need to develop something customized?

Oliver Wong

"tiewknvc9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Im trying to encode the data that I save in my applications saved
> files, basically I just want to find something simpley implemented and
> dependable on the conversions.
>
> is there anything in the Java api that Im missing that may be able to
> help me with this? Or will I need to develop something customized?

I think we're using different terminology. I'm guessing you have some
data in the form of objects floating around in memory, and you'd like to
save this data to files. Simplest way to do that is to use Java
serialization (see
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...lization.html).
One step above that is to use an XML persistence library
(http://www.castor.org/); the next step is persisting to DB
(http://www.hibernate.org/), and then after that you'd be looking at
designing your own custom file format.

- Oliver

rounner@yahoo.com

Or he might mean cryptographically encode data?

Roedy Green

On 4 May 2006 15:08:04 -0700, "tiewknvc9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>Im trying to encode the data that I save in my applications saved
>files, basically I just want to find something simpley implemented and
>dependable on the conversions.

Do you mean?

1. encode in a national character set, see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/encoding.html

2. encrypt so snoops can't see what you sent. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jce.htm

3. armour so that binary data can be sent as printable text.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/armouring.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Andrey Kuznetsov

> 2. encrypt so snoops can't see what you sent. see
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jce.htm

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jce.html

Andrey

--
http://uio.imagero.com Unified I/O for Java

tiewknvc9

um... I mean I have already saved a file (as plain text). However I
would like to dissallow the user the ability to open the file as text
and read every single one of my saved items.

So I think that this means that I have a regular text file that I want
to hide any readable data from a person that would open it in notepad
and try to read it.

tiewknvc9

um... I mean I have already saved a file (as plain text). However I
would like to dissallow the user the ability to open the file as text
and read every single one of my saved items.

So I think that this means that I have a regular text file that I want
to hide any readable data from a person that would open it in notepad
and try to read it.

Oliver Wong

"tiewknvc9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> um... I mean I have already saved a file (as plain text). However I
> would like to dissallow the user the ability to open the file as text
> and read every single one of my saved items.
>
> So I think that this means that I have a regular text file that I want
> to hide any readable data from a person that would open it in notepad
> and try to read it.

You want cryptography then. That's the
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jce.html link.

- Oliver

Roedy Green

On Fri, 05 May 2006 21:24:46 GMT, "Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> You want cryptography then. That's the
>http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jce.html link.

other related links of interest:
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/encryption.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ssl.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/digitalsignatures.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Andrey Kuznetsov

> um... I mean I have already saved a file (as plain text). However I
> would like to dissallow the user the ability to open the file as text
> and read every single one of my saved items.
>
> So I think that this means that I have a regular text file that I want
> to hide any readable data from a person that would open it in notepad
> and try to read it.

one interesting question is - how do you want to hide this person to delete
or change this data?

Andrey

--
http://uio.imagero.com Unified I/O for Java