Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 1131 APs and multple floors

1131 APs and multple floors

Harkin

I have a building that has 4 floors with multiple access points per floor
for coverage. The problem that I am having is that a user on the 4th floor
for example with authenticate and connect to an AP on the 1st floor, even
though there is an access point about 20 feet away from the computer.

If there are 4 access points within reach of a specific user, I see the logs
in IAS where they continually connect to all of them instead of staying
connected to a single radio. These users are not roaming either, they are
stationary.

Aaron Leonard

On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:01:45 -0400, "Harkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

~ I have a building that has 4 floors with multiple access points per floor
~ for coverage. The problem that I am having is that a user on the 4th floor
~ for example with authenticate and connect to an AP on the 1st floor, even
~ though there is an access point about 20 feet away from the computer.

Then you must not have lead panels installed between your floors.

If you have excessive RF coverage, then you might want to turn your APs'
transmit power down, and disable the lower rates. As an example, you can
look at the recommendations for 7920 phones:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0802a036a.html

~ If there are 4 access points within reach of a specific user, I see the logs
~ in IAS where they continually connect to all of them instead of staying
~ connected to a single radio. These users are not roaming either, they are
~ stationary.

Yes, that sounds like normal behavior.

Do you experience a problem?

Regards,