Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Using a Gigabit copper to Gigabit fiber media converter for an IDF

Using a Gigabit copper to Gigabit fiber media converter for an IDF

rjmnyc@optonline.net

We have a catalyst 4507R at the core of our network and a new IDF is
being built. There will be a new MM fiber drop terminating at the core
and I don't think there are any spare SFP slots available. There are 2
spare GBIC ports on our redundant supervisor card but from what I have
read only the GBICS on the active card will work and those are already
taken. There is 1 linecard slot left on the 4507, but I want to be
prepared with options in case my boss tells me there is not enough
money to purchase a line card. So, is it possible and recommended to
connect a media converter that would convert a free copper gig-e port
to fiber as a short term solution?

Thanks

anybody43@hotmail.com

> catalyst 4507R
> There are 2 spare GBIC ports on our redundant
> supervisor card but from what I have
> read only the GBICS on the active card will work.

This is not the case.

Supervisor 4
With two SE in the chassis you can still only use
a total of two uplink ports and they are port
one on each SE. i.e. Gi 1/1 and Gi 2/1.

Supervisor 5
With two SE in the chassis you can use all 4
uplink ports.

SO:-

If you have both ports active on one SE
you must have a Sup 5 and you can use all 4.

I suggest that you check for yourself before
spending money.

rjmnyc@optonline.net

You are correct. What I meant to say was that there are two uplinks, 1
on each supIV that do not work.

I would like to know if I could use a media converter to convert a
spare copper port to fiber so I can connect to the new IDF.

Thanks.

anybody43@hotmail.com

> would like to know if I could use a media converter to convert a
> spare copper port to fiber so I can connect to the new IDF.

Yes.

They seem more reliable than they look, which is a good thing.

jay

try blackbox catalouge - has all sorts of bits like that

MC

jay wrote:
> try blackbox catalouge - has all sorts of bits like that

I use transistion media converters without any issues.

However, they can get expensive themselves, ususally depending on
equipment, somethimes cheaper to addd fiber ports to equipment in
question. Of course line cards can indeed be more.