Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Web design program recommendation wanted for schools

Web design program recommendation wanted for schools

jzkilmer@yahoo.com

I am thinking of buying Dreamweaver for web design on our schools'
website, but the cost is rediculous considering how many copies I want.
(even at educational pricing)

As webmaster and volunteer parent, I would need a copy to manage the
main web pages. Teachers and their students would also need copies for
web design of their pages. It would be nice if they could do on their
PC in their rooms. As you know, the schools are in financial straights
and cannot afford several copies of DW even though that would be my
first choice.

What other software can you recommend. Our goal is NOT to teach grade
school kids or their teachers HTML but to allow them to design and
create a webpage for their class. (Afterall, many 1st graders can't
even spell HTML, let alone write it.) It needs to be easy to use or I
will not have success getting the teachers to use it.

Thanks
Jack

Ed Mullen

You might try Nvu. See http://nvu.com/

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, (E-Mail Removed) vouchsafed:

> I am thinking of buying Dreamweaver for web design on our schools'
> website, but the cost is rediculous considering how many copies I want.
> (even at educational pricing)
>
> As webmaster and volunteer parent, I would need a copy to manage the
> main web pages. Teachers and their students would also need copies for
> web design of their pages. It would be nice if they could do on their
> PC in their rooms. As you know, the schools are in financial straights
> and cannot afford several copies of DW even though that would be my
> first choice.
>
> What other software can you recommend. Our goal is NOT to teach grade
> school kids or their teachers HTML but to allow them to design and
> create a webpage for their class. (Afterall, many 1st graders can't
> even spell HTML, let alone write it.) It needs to be easy to use or I
> will not have success getting the teachers to use it.

Forget the html. Do the graphic design separate, however you want to, and
when it's complete, hire/procure someone to mark it up. WYSIWYG editors
aren't very html-adept in any case.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Chaddy2222

Ed Mullen wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I am thinking of buying Dreamweaver for web design on our schools'
> > website, but the cost is rediculous considering how many copies I want.
> > (even at educational pricing)
> >
> > As webmaster and volunteer parent, I would need a copy to manage the
> > main web pages. Teachers and their students would also need copies for
> > web design of their pages. It would be nice if they could do on their
> > PC in their rooms. As you know, the schools are in financial straights
> > and cannot afford several copies of DW even though that would be my
> > first choice.
> >
> > What other software can you recommend. Our goal is NOT to teach grade
> > school kids or their teachers HTML but to allow them to design and
> > create a webpage for their class. (Afterall, many 1st graders can't
> > even spell HTML, let alone write it.) It needs to be easy to use or I
> > will not have success getting the teachers to use it.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jack
> >

> You might try Nvu. See http://nvu.com/

Yes, I think NVU would be good, though you still will need some
knoledge about HTML so the pages validate.
I would suggest installing a CMS and just letting teachers and students
add content.
Much easyer and it would allow for consistency over all pages.
--
Regards Chad. My site made with NVU, http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc

> Why does a cowboy have two spurs? If one side of the horse goes, so does
> the other.

JDS

On Wed, 03 May 2006 13:09:11 -0700, jzkilmer wrote:

> As you know, the schools are in financial straights
> and cannot afford several copies of DW even though that would be my
> first choice.

Why would that be your first choice? First graders using Dreamweaver? DW
Is actually quite a complex program.

Try Mozilla Composer. It is FREE. It is a part of the Mozilla suite. I'm
talking the full version of Mozilla, not "Firefox". It is really a pretty
good WYSIWYG HTML editor -- I don't know why it isn't recommended more
often!

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

JDS

On Thu, 04 May 2006 09:45:05 -0400, JDS wrote:

> It is really a pretty
> good WYSIWYG HTML editor -- I don't know why it isn't recommended more
> often!
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Yeah, I just took a look at it again. I think it would be perfect for
your uses: it is easy to use, WYSIWYG interface, lets you edit the HTML
directly if you want, features publishing/uploading tools to send your
site/pages to your web server, works on Windows, Mac, Linux, has a
spell checker, and more. wow I sound like a sales brochure.

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

JDS wrote:

> Try Mozilla Composer. It is FREE. It is a part of the Mozilla suite. I'm
> talking the full version of Mozilla, not "Firefox". It is really a pretty
> good WYSIWYG HTML editor -- I don't know why it isn't recommended more
> often!

...and NVu as already mentioned is the stand-alone version of the Mozilla
Composer. NVu might be more beneficial, if the OP does not want to have
email and chat applications on the kids' computers.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Ed Mullen

JDS wrote:
> On Wed, 03 May 2006 13:09:11 -0700, jzkilmer wrote:
>
>> As you know, the schools are in financial straights
>> and cannot afford several copies of DW even though that would be my
>> first choice.

> Why would that be your first choice? First graders using Dreamweaver? DW
> Is actually quite a complex program.
>
> Try Mozilla Composer. It is FREE. It is a part of the Mozilla suite. I'm
> talking the full version of Mozilla, not "Firefox". It is really a pretty
> good WYSIWYG HTML editor -- I don't know why it isn't recommended more
> often!
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Instead of the Mozilla Suite anyone interested should get SeaMonkey.
Mozilla.org has stopped development of the Moz Suite except for a few
more security fixes. An independent group is carrying on the suite
development in the form of SeaMonkey.

Also, the composer that is part of both Mozilla and SeaMonkey hasn't
been updated in ages. The key developer of Composer is also the
developer of Nvu, which is current and more advanced.

http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Michael Laplante

news:2Eo6g.25437$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JDS wrote:
>
>> Try Mozilla Composer. It is FREE. It is a part of the Mozilla suite. I'm
>> talking the full version of Mozilla, not "Firefox". It is really a
>> pretty
>> good WYSIWYG HTML editor -- I don't know why it isn't recommended more
>> often!

> ..and NVu as already mentioned is the stand-alone version of the Mozilla
> Composer. NVu might be more beneficial, if the OP does not want to have
> email and chat applications on the kids' computers.

I'd go with Composer first. It's more stable. NVu tends to crap out when
dealing with layers. Also, it has a well known bug that re-formats the code
even if you disable the option. (Might not matter in this instance.)

The old Frontpage Express is still available and is dead easy. It uses a
word processor metaphor. The generated code is out of date but for Grade 1
it doesn't get any easier.

I haven't played around with Open Office much but it also functions as a
wysiwyg editor. However, you have to download the whole office suite which I
think is over 60 Megs.

Also, Abiword for very simple stuff.

Finally, most commercial word processors (Word, WordPerfect) etc can save to
HTML. It ain't pretty HTML but will work. You probably already have access
to some of these programs now. If valid / efficient code is a concern there
are freeware "cleaners" that will clean up Word-to-HTML files afterwards.

You could also the alt.comp.freeware ng for more suggestions.

NVu: http://www.nvu.com/
Composer (Seamonkey) : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ (Less
stable than Mozila version but still works well.)
Composer (Older Mozilla version) :
http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
Frontpage Express : You'll have to Google around to find downloads or get an
old copy of Internet Explorer 5.
Open Office : http://www.openoffice.org/
Abiword : http://www.abisource.com/

JDS

On Thu, 04 May 2006 15:59:33 +0000, Michael Laplante wrote:

> Finally, most commercial word processors (Word, WordPerfect) etc can save to
> HTML. It ain't pretty HTML but will work. You probably already have access
> to some of these programs now. If valid / efficient code is a concern there
> are freeware "cleaners" that will clean up Word-to-HTML files afterwards.

You are hereby banned from alt.html

BEGONE!

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)lid