Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > The Lounge > Tsunami warnings issued after massive quake

Tsunami warnings issued after massive quake

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Are you guys in Australia concerned about this recent quake?

05-03-06: Tsunami warnings were issued for Fiji and New Zealand after a massive earthquake measuring about 7.8 in magnitude shook the southern Pacific Ocean. The quake's epicenter was about 95 miles off the coast of Tonga, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Paula Chipman, an American tourist on Tonga, called it "a major, major shaker" and said it was impossible to assess the damage on the island because it was still dark.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

Nope, the warnings were cancelled this morning. Not a problem.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Not worried in the slightest.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Well, are you worried about a quake happening closer to home?

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

Nah, the only place that'd get quakes in our *very large* area as a result of this big one would be New Zealand, but they get quakes over there relatively frequently anyway. They get a fair bit of seismic activity, South Island especially. If you meant just as a separate incident and not related to this one, why would I? It's not like this is suddenly scaring the crap out of me because I think it might happen here too.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

But, it might, you never know... Australia is a tectonic plate unto itself, so, it could just start to shake all over.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

but everything is going to stay pretty still. its not like we are half-half, and the Whole of Australia is split in two , otherwise we would have major issues.

To be honesty, i cant remember the last time we had large acivity on the rictor scale.. there was that mining incident but i think that was just a Mining fault.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

to be honesty? you can do that??

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

If anybody can, Nathan can.

But, if I can be seriously for a minutes here. I'd like to congratulates Nathan on his amazingly usages of the English language once again.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Lol dont dis me bout my english i aint going to change it just for u, i might for a chick but not for modfather

And what am i supposed to be able to do?