Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router not getting a wirless internet connection

Router not getting a wirless internet connection

geo.marsh@gmail.com

Ok, here goes.

I've got a Fujitsu Siemans laptop and a D-Link G640T Router. I have a
standard ADSL connection with a standard ISP.

The laptop has a D-Link USB Wireless adapter and has been proved to
work fine. I can get Internet access through the router when it is
connected to the ethernet port on the laptop, however, try as I might,
It will not work with a wireless connection.

I have followed all the instructions clearly and methodically with no
luck. I'm an IT engineer so I'm familiar with most PC problems however

this has me stumped.

The router is showing all connections working fine (WLAN, ADSL, STATUS
etc). I have tried DHCP and static IP addresses. I have moved the
router to different locations in the house but nothing. Occasionally
the wireless adapter shows it has found a connection - every hour or
so, but says 'limited connectivity' The signal then drops off
completly.

any help would be great.

Thanks

Diamontina Cocktail

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> The router is showing all connections working fine (WLAN, ADSL, STATUS
> etc). I have tried DHCP and static IP addresses. I have moved the
> router to different locations in the house but nothing. Occasionally
> the wireless adapter shows it has found a connection - every hour or
> so, but says 'limited connectivity' The signal then drops off
> completly.

Assuming the USB NIC is working OK - and it may not be - have you changed
channel on the G604T? You may have a hidden wi-fi near you on the channel
you are using. Have you actually turned Wi-Fi ON in the router? It may be
off. Are you using encryption of any sort? If you are, some of the earlier
D-Link USB wi-fi NICs did WEP only so if you are choosing better methods and
have an older wi-fi NIC, it may not be working so change to WEP at the
router. In fact, turn all encryption off until this is solved.

Lastly, what is in the walls? Not too long ago I had a place where the walls
had that aluminium looking stuff inside the walls they use for insulation.
Of course this wasn't known before I tried setting wi-fi up. The wi-fi
worked OK within the one place but wouldn't go through the walls to an
outside source at all. Apparently the old horse hair insulation of a real
long time ago has the same effect.

Download Airsnare and Netstumbler and see what is around you.

Diamontina Cocktail

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Ok, here goes.

PS - the G604T allows access control. Have you turned it on and not added
your NIC's MAC to the allowed list?

geo.marsh@gmail.com

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Ok, here goes.
> >

> PS - the G604T allows access control. Have you turned it on and not added
> your NIC's MAC to the allowed list?

Thanks for the reply Diamontina,

I'll give it another go tonight when I get home and try some of the
things you mention. I'll post tomorrow to let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

geo.marsh@gmail.com

Still no luck I'm afraid, got a connection last night about 5 times.
Each time it connected then dropped the connection after about 30 secs.
I'm now convinced it is the router that is faulty. (ie: antenna)