Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Best wireless voip router - accept pstn in and multiple voip out - on one handset

Best wireless voip router - accept pstn in and multiple voip out - on one handset

Jim

Sorry for the long title
I am after a wireless router if possible that has FXO and FXS port , I want
to plug in one
Dect base station and accept incoming pstn or voip calls and make mainly
outgoing voip calls.
I like the speedtouch 716wl as it has 4 lan ports (I have 3 hardwired pc's)
but am I right in believing
you can only have one Voip account configured on this (couldn't have
voip.co.uk and voipstunt for example)
I also liked the Fritz!box fon wlan as it can have multiple voip accounts
setup but it only has one hardwired lan port ,
so I would also need to buy a switch or hub

Is there anything that will all of these criteria for me ?

Thanks

Ivor Jones

news:XMX5g.1295$(E-Mail Removed)
> Sorry for the long title
> I am after a wireless router if possible that has FXO and
> FXS port , I want to plug in one
> Dect base station and accept incoming pstn or voip calls
> and make mainly outgoing voip calls.
> I like the speedtouch 716wl as it has 4 lan ports (I have
> 3 hardwired pc's) but am I right in believing
> you can only have one Voip account configured on this
> (couldn't have voip.co.uk and voipstunt for example)
> I also liked the Fritz!box fon wlan as it can have
> multiple voip accounts setup but it only has one
> hardwired lan port , so I would also need to buy a switch or hub
>
> Is there anything that will all of these criteria for me ?
>
> Thanks

I can thoroughly recommend the Fritz!Box - I have the non-wireless version
and it's been faultless. A small 4/5 port switch will only cost you a
minimal amount, this is what I have done and the ability to set up
multiple accounts (the Fritz will accommodate up to 10) far outweighs the
disadvantage of the small extra cost.

Ivor

paul123

Jim wrote:
> Sorry for the long title
> I am after a wireless router if possible that has FXO and FXS port , I want
> to plug in one
> Dect base station and accept incoming pstn or voip calls and make mainly
> outgoing voip calls.
> I like the speedtouch 716wl as it has 4 lan ports (I have 3 hardwired pc's)
> but am I right in believing
> you can only have one Voip account configured on this (couldn't have
> voip.co.uk and voipstunt for example)
> I also liked the Fritz!box fon wlan as it can have multiple voip accounts
> setup but it only has one hardwired lan port ,
> so I would also need to buy a switch or hub
>
> Is there anything that will all of these criteria for me ?
>
> Thanks

I have a 716g (its predecessor) and you CAN have 2 voip accounts, but
the big however is that they have to be with the same voip provider,
which is what you were saying, I think. Don't know if this has changed
in the 716wl. Multi-account/provider capability can of course be had by
using sip phones, ATAs or an asterisk box.

Pricewise it's not a bad deal, though the fritz!box does look to be a
mighty fine piece of kit.

Jim

Ivor do you know if its possible to use the lan port as a wan port ??
At the moment I have NTL cable but in next 6 months or so will be going to
adsl
So would like to connect the fritz!box to my existing router until I change
to ADSL

Thanks

"paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Jim wrote:
>> Sorry for the long title
>> I am after a wireless router if possible that has FXO and FXS port , I
>> want
>> to plug in one
>> Dect base station and accept incoming pstn or voip calls and make mainly
>> outgoing voip calls.
>> I like the speedtouch 716wl as it has 4 lan ports (I have 3 hardwired
>> pc's)
>> but am I right in believing
>> you can only have one Voip account configured on this (couldn't have
>> voip.co.uk and voipstunt for example)
>> I also liked the Fritz!box fon wlan as it can have multiple voip accounts
>> setup but it only has one hardwired lan port ,
>> so I would also need to buy a switch or hub
>>
>> Is there anything that will all of these criteria for me ?
>>
>> Thanks

> I have a 716g (its predecessor) and you CAN have 2 voip accounts, but
> the big however is that they have to be with the same voip provider,
> which is what you were saying, I think. Don't know if this has changed
> in the 716wl. Multi-account/provider capability can of course be had by
> using sip phones, ATAs or an asterisk box.
>
> Pricewise it's not a bad deal, though the fritz!box does look to be a
> mighty fine piece of kit.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jim:
> Ivor do you know if its possible to use the lan port as a wan port ??
> At the moment I have NTL cable but in next 6 months or so will be
> going to adsl
> So would like to connect the fritz!box to my existing router until I
> change to ADSL

I'd stay with NTL, especially now they are removing the caps on all
services, a lot less headache than ADSL.

--
It's your local community, get out and vote for local issues in the upcoming
local elections!

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:49:43 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

>I'd stay with NTL, especially now they are removing the caps on all
>services, a lot less headache than ADSL.

Looking like it was Telewest that have taken over NTL in that case
unless of course they feared a backlash from us TW customers if they
had tried to impose any caps on us .

▀°dincÁs▓░░░

news:Bv%5g.27527$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ivor do you know if its possible to use the lan port as a wan port ??
> At the moment I have NTL cable but in next 6 months or so will be going to
> adsl
> So would like to connect the fritz!box to my existing router until I
> change to ADSL
>
> Thanks

Yup, I've done it. The downside is that the LAN port becomes the WAN port,
and no LAN ports are available then. Local PCs can only be connected through
USB and WLAN.
As a matter of fact, if you don't need to network PCs together, a 10MB
Ethernet on USB connection is enough.
Anyway, my PCs were already networked through a 802.11g WLAN (54 MB) P2P
connection before, now the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN is in the equation.
The result is that my network setup is:
- 4 MB Blueyonder BB cablemodem feeding the Fritz LAN port;
- Telewest POTS phone line in the Fritz Analog port;
- Two internal phone lines connected to the two outgoing Fritz Phone ports;
- 6 different VoIP accounts registered and active;
- 2+ PCs 802.11g+ wireless network.
At a price a bit more over 100 quid w/VAT, is a vast improvement in the
available services around the house! Recommended.

P.S. Some of the features I'm using are available only on the last firmware
release, be sure to update the Fritz!Box before doing anything else.

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid

Ivor Jones

news:Bv%5g.27527$(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor do you know if its possible to use the lan port as a
> wan port ?? At the moment I have NTL cable but in next 6 months or so
> will be going to adsl
> So would like to connect the fritz!box to my existing
> router until I change to ADSL

It's certainly possible to disable the internal ADSL modem, but the device
I use (the bog standard Fritz!Box Fon) only has one Ethernet port, so it
would be a little difficult with that one..! However I believe the
WLAN7050 has two LAN ports so you should be ok with that one, I'd check
with AVM tech support on www.avm.de/en (click on "service" then "support")
they're usually very good and respond quickly.

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Jim

Thanks for all the replys

Andy Repton

On 2006-05-03, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> WLAN7050 has two LAN ports so you should be ok with that one, I'd check
> with AVM tech support on www.avm.de/en (click on "service" then "support")
> they're usually very good and respond quickly.

I wonder why my ticket with them has been open for over a week then?

I recently bought a 7050 and have been pleased with it, but the lack of
response from AVM and the difficulty of finding online discussion in
English has left me questioning my decision.o

BTW it does have 2 LAN ports and they can be independently routed.

--
Andy Repton