Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox doesn't take form target correctly

Firefox doesn't take form target correctly

Oliver Arndt

hi,

I have a little problem with a form, specially the target defined in the
form tag:

<form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>

the function openPopup opens the target browserwindow (by
window.open('etc...) and loads a html with a frameset in the popup. the
second frame is named tempMail (=target) and its framesource is set to
"about:blank".

this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window itself
where the form is located.

<base target="tempMail"> doesn't help...

any help would be appreciated

Jonathan N. Little

Oliver Arndt wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a little problem with a form, specially the target defined in the
> form tag:
>
> <form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
> action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
> onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>
>
> the function openPopup opens the target browserwindow (by
> window.open('etc...) and loads a html with a frameset in the popup. the
> second frame is named tempMail (=target) and its framesource is set to
> "about:blank".
>
> this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
> opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window itself
> where the form is located.
>
> <base target="tempMail"> doesn't help...
>
> any help would be appreciated

Where is this form...not visible on page that you list. Not your only
problem though, bad browser sniffing. I get a 'Please Update Your
Browser' when clicking links the a need 'Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and above.'
I'm using SeaMonkey which is technically *above* Mozilla Firefox 1.0!!!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Oliver Arndt

hi jonathan,

thanks for your quick response.
1) what do you mean with "where is this form"? where in the body of the
html file?
2) as I see firefox everywhere installed on my friends machines and as
the target attribute is such a basic feature, I still hope to find a
solution on that.

telling the user "sorry, not with your browser" is IMHO unacceptable for
a simple target option.

@all: maybe there is a special CSS tag or javascript for firefox to take
ONLY the popup as the form target... any idea?

cheers
oliver

Jonathan N. Little schrieb:
> Oliver Arndt wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I have a little problem with a form, specially the target defined in
>> the form tag:
>>
>> <form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
>> action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
>> onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>
>>
>> the function openPopup opens the target browserwindow (by
>> window.open('etc...) and loads a html with a frameset in the popup.
>> the second frame is named tempMail (=target) and its framesource is
>> set to "about:blank".
>>
>> this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
>> opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window
>> itself where the form is located.
>>
>> <base target="tempMail"> doesn't help...
>>
>> any help would be appreciated

> Where is this form...not visible on page that you list. Not your only
> problem though, bad browser sniffing. I get a 'Please Update Your
> Browser' when clicking links the a need 'Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and above.'
> I'm using SeaMonkey which is technically *above* Mozilla Firefox 1.0!!!

Jim Moe

Oliver Arndt wrote:

> <form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
> action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
> onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>
>
> this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
> opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window itself
> where the form is located.

Change
onSubmit="openPopup()"
onsubmit="openPopup(); return false;"

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Jonathan N. Little

Oliver Arndt wrote:
> hi jonathan,
>
> thanks for your quick response.
> 1) what do you mean with "where is this form"? where in the body of the
> html file?

Precisely, do not see *any* form elements withing source of given url:

http://home.mysite.com/

> 2) as I see firefox everywhere installed on my friends machines and as
> the target attribute is such a basic feature, I still hope to find a
> solution on that.

Target should be use with frames only, and use of frames is questionable IMO

> telling the user "sorry, not with your browser" is IMHO unacceptable for
> a simple target option.

But that is what happens when your click 'PhotoSite' link on your page.
Target had nothing to do with it, the browser sniffer did...

> @all: maybe there is a special CSS tag or javascript for firefox to take
> ONLY the popup as the form target... any idea?

Not sure what your mean here.

Also, please do not top post in the newsgroup

> Jonathan N. Little schrieb:
>> Oliver Arndt wrote:
>>> hi,

<snipped top posting>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Oliver Arndt

the given url was just an example to tell you that the ACTION uses a
http url. the page is not online yet.

what do you mean with "please do not top post in the newsgroup"?
what is a "top post" at all? sorry, for any inconvenience caused.

Jonathan N. Little schrieb:
> Oliver Arndt wrote:
>> hi jonathan,
>>
>> thanks for your quick response.
>> 1) what do you mean with "where is this form"? where in the body of
>> the html file?

> Precisely, do not see *any* form elements withing source of given url:
>
> http://home.mysite.com/
>

>> 2) as I see firefox everywhere installed on my friends machines and as
>> the target attribute is such a basic feature, I still hope to find a
>> solution on that.

> Target should be use with frames only, and use of frames is questionable
> IMO
>

>> telling the user "sorry, not with your browser" is IMHO unacceptable
>> for a simple target option.

> But that is what happens when your click 'PhotoSite' link on your page.
> Target had nothing to do with it, the browser sniffer did...
>

>> @all: maybe there is a special CSS tag or javascript for firefox to
>> take ONLY the popup as the form target... any idea?

> Not sure what your mean here.
>
> Also, please do not top post in the newsgroup
>

>> Jonathan N. Little schrieb:

> <snipped top posting>

Oliver Arndt

hi jim,

thanks for the tip. unfortunately this didn't change anything. although
I thought, that ONSUBMIT must get a "return true" after all to launch
the ACTION...(?)

Oliver Arndt wrote:
> the given url was just an example to tell you that the ACTION uses a
> http url. the page is not online yet.
>
> what do you mean with "please do not top post in the newsgroup"?
> what is a "top post" at all? sorry, for any inconvenience caused.

Top posting is just what sound like, putting your comments at the top
ABOVE the bits you are replying to. in a newsgroup it can get quite
confusing as to what your are referring to when the posting looks like
Jeopardy!

A:Because it makes more sense to read the question first before the answer.

Q:What is wrong with top posting?

Got it?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Oliver Arndt

>> what do you mean with "please do not top post in the newsgroup"?
>> what is a "top post" at all? sorry, for any inconvenience caused.

> Top posting is just what sound like, putting your comments at the top
> ABOVE the bits you are replying to. in a newsgroup it can get quite
> confusing as to what your are referring to when the posting looks like
> Jeopardy!
>
> A:Because it makes more sense to read the question first before the answer.
>
> Q:What is wrong with top posting?
>
> Got it?

got it. nice example! thx

Jim Moe

Oliver Arndt wrote:

> thanks for the tip. unfortunately this didn't change anything. although
> I thought, that ONSUBMIT must get a "return true" after all to launch
> the ACTION...(?)

Hmm. Good point. That works for <a> elements. I thought it might work
for <form> as well.