Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Blank area above content

Blank area above content

klloyd

>From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

Even with images on?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "klloyd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
vouchsafed:

> http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html
>
> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
> top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
> flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
> for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
> now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
> can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
>
> leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

Did some WYSIWYG editor produce that markup, or is it a very old template,
perhaps? Anyway, I don't see the problem here (in either IE or FF.) The
top jpeg goes right up to the top of the viewport.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Nije Nego

On 1 May 2006 15:21:31 -0700, klloyd wrote:

>>From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

> Even with images on?

I have no interest in images.
But when enabling them, I see no blank space on top
http://www.bruno-s.net/temp/klloyd.jpg

--
buy, bought, bye

Steve Pugh

"klloyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
>all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
>turned off.

You should be. Don't blind visitors come to your parks? Oh, and Google
always has images turned off...

>What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
>tables?

Please start quoting the parts of the message you are replying to. If
you don't then people here will get fed up with you and start ignoring
you.

re: http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html

You are using non-standard proprietary extensions to HTML. That is why
the validator is telling you that some of your attributes do not
exist. The extensions you are using are a mix if Netscape 4 extensions
and IE 4 extensions. And you are using an odd combination of the two
(i.e. the Netscape extensions you use and the IE extensions you use do
not do the same thing).

Some modern browsers support various combinations of these for
backwards compatability, but continued support in the future is not
guaranteed. If you followed the advice given and fixed the validation
errors in your HTML then you would be on the right path as you would
need to replace these proprietary extensions with CSS which (as this
doesn't involve any of the parts of CSS not supported by IE) is well
supported today and tomorrow.

Steve

Leif K-Brooks

klloyd wrote:
> I understand what you are all talking about but am not worried about
> visitors who have images turned off.

Not caring about your visitors is a good way to make sure no one here
will want to help you.

Nije Nego

On 1 May 2006 14:08:58 -0700, klloyd wrote:

> http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html
>
> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
> top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
> flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
> for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
> now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
> can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
>
> leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

I see your problem in IE 6.
You should add this to your head
body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;}

Still think you have bigger issues than this.

--
buy, bought, bye

Jim Moe

klloyd wrote:
> http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html
>
> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
> top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
> flush with the top of the window. [...]

The only white area I see is above the banner image
"springfieldParkDraftpsd_01.jpg". And the image is designed to have the
white stripe above the people.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim Moe wrote:

> klloyd wrote:
>> http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html
>>
>> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at
>> the top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're
>> not flush with the top of the window. [...]
>>

> The only white area I see is above the banner image
> "springfieldParkDraftpsd_01.jpg". And the image is designed to have
> the white stripe above the people.

Yes, there is a skinny white area at the top of that graphic. It is part
of the graphic. <lol> There is no additional blank area.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Barbara de Zoete

[ start quoting properly as explained in the hyperlinks I provided ]

On Tue, 02 May 2006 00:14:33 +0200, klloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
> all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
> turned off.

That's a nice one. I had no idea your pages were just one big ego trip. In
which case visitors do not matter indeed.

> What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
> tables?

Why should I care to answer? You got far more valuable feed back on your
pages then regarding this issue, and yet you choose to ignore that.
You think this usenet newsgroup is some sort of helpdesk? Well, it isn't.
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pr25ludwho5r$.1vroro2rvwbk$.mark@markp arnell.com.au&output=gplain>

--
______PretLetters:
| weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/weblog/weblog.html |

The One

> leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

add this to the body tag:
topmargin="0"

--
The One