Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > What should you write a new feed in?

What should you write a new feed in?

seajays@hotmail.com

With all the slightly different flavours of feeds, (RSS 1.0, 2.0, 0.91,
Atom etc), what should we create 'new' feeds in, if we're coding them
from scratch?

Will one or another 'win' the battle to become the de facto standard or
will we be stuck with several different feed types all trying to do the
same thing for a long time to come?

If one or another is likely to win, which is currently the leader in
the race?

Andy Dingley

> With all the slightly different flavours of feeds, (RSS 1.0, 2.0, 0.91,
> Atom etc), what should we create 'new' feeds in, if we're coding them
> from scratch?

Damn good question.

RSS 1.0 is still the most powerful and I use it for internal workflows,
where I'm feeding a lot more than "neswfeed" content through the RSS
pipeline. It's also easy to transcode 1.0 into Atom or 2.0

Atom is a well-thought out spec and pretty capable. It does everything
you could want for a public newsfeed. It's what I use for "newsfeeds".

RSS 2.0 has no function other than as backwards compatibility to feed
business-essential but borken newsreaders that don't understand Atom.
If you need it, then sometimes you just need it. It's still ugly
though,

0.9* are dead and buried, as is Atom 0.3 and RSS 1.1

> Will one or another 'win' the battle to become the de facto standard

No.

> will we be stuck with several different feed types all trying to do the
> same thing for a long time to come?

Yes 8-(