Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > pc card vs. pci express

pc card vs. pci express

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

How can I use my wireless air card with my now laptop, which came configured
for pci express, but not pc card?

Jack

Hi
If you new Laptop came with the NewCard (PCI-ex) and have regular PCMCIA
Slot you would have to buy a New Wireless Card.
However I am not sure that you can find Wireless PCI-ex on the open market.
You probably have USB2 port as well so you can get an 802.11g USB2 Wireless
unit.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I use my wireless air card with my now laptop, which came
> configured
> for pci express, but not pc card?

Kevin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> If you new Laptop came with the NewCard (PCI-ex) and have regular PCMCIA
> Slot you would have to buy a New Wireless Card.
> However I am not sure that you can find Wireless PCI-ex on the open
> market. You probably have USB2 port as well so you can get an 802.11g
> USB2 Wireless unit.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can I use my wireless air card with my now laptop, which came
>> configured
>> for pci express, but not pc card?

Most new laptops come with built-in wireless. Yours did not? PCIe or PCI
Express is for video, not wireless.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It is true that that many Video card come now in PCI-ex. However PCI-ex is
just a faster Bus than the "old" regular PCI and was designed as a regular
Bus that can be used with Video as well as any other PCI base card that
would come in PCI-ex version. Example,
http://www.mellanox.com/products/inf...i_ex_cards.php
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...