Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Simple Home Setup for Satellite Internet Sharing

Simple Home Setup for Satellite Internet Sharing

Ellen Hall

Hello,

I've been reading a lot about networking and am hoping to simplify things.
I'm
plugging in a new XP machine in the next week and have plans to order
satellite internet. The dish will probably be right outside the window
(next to the DirecTV dish). I want internet to also go to another XP
machine at the other end of the house (approximately 50 feet and a few walls
away). I do not want any other kind of sharing (files or devices) between
the two machines. I
do want security and each machine will have a software firewall. And of
course, I want as much speed as possible.

Each computer has an NIC card. I'm told that all I need is a router. I
thought that for wireless, one of the machines had to have a wireless device
(adapter?). I have not spoken to the actual installer, but my understanding
is that they will hook up the satellite modem to my router and I will
configure the connection between the machines. The installer may help set
it up, but I'd sure like to understand it and put it together myself ahead
of time.

Frankly, I've taken in a lot of information and my eyes are crossing. If
someone could help me get down to the bare bones of what I need to do to be
ready for the installer (standards, i.e., 802.11b terms, security, i.e.,
WEP, WPA terms, and brands, i.e., Linksys, Belkin, etc.), I would be
grateful. Perhaps a good web site. Perhaps a few "Run Spot Run" sentences.

Thanks Very Much,
Ellen

Jack

Hi

As a first step make talk to your future Internet provider, and make sure
that your Satellite modem can be connected to a regular Wireless Cable/DSL
Router (unlike regular Cable or DSL connection, some Satellite type of
connection can not use a regular Router).

Assuming that you new Internet connection can use a Wireless Cable/DSL
Router; the system should look like this (in your case the input would be
from your modem).

Installing and Sharing here, http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html ( 50 and few walls you need to
go for Good Wireless).

Wireless, Basic Configuration, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Wireless Security, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ellen Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I've been reading a lot about networking and am hoping to simplify things.
> I'm
> plugging in a new XP machine in the next week and have plans to order
> satellite internet. The dish will probably be right outside the window
> (next to the DirecTV dish). I want internet to also go to another XP
> machine at the other end of the house (approximately 50 feet and a few
> walls
> away). I do not want any other kind of sharing (files or devices) between
> the two machines. I
> do want security and each machine will have a software firewall. And of
> course, I want as much speed as possible.
>
> Each computer has an NIC card. I'm told that all I need is a router. I
> thought that for wireless, one of the machines had to have a wireless
> device
> (adapter?). I have not spoken to the actual installer, but my
> understanding
> is that they will hook up the satellite modem to my router and I will
> configure the connection between the machines. The installer may help set
> it up, but I'd sure like to understand it and put it together myself ahead
> of time.
>
> Frankly, I've taken in a lot of information and my eyes are crossing. If
> someone could help me get down to the bare bones of what I need to do to
> be
> ready for the installer (standards, i.e., 802.11b terms, security, i.e.,
> WEP, WPA terms, and brands, i.e., Linksys, Belkin, etc.), I would be
> grateful. Perhaps a good web site. Perhaps a few "Run Spot Run"
> sentences.
>
> Thanks Very Much,
> Ellen

Ellen Hall

Jack,

Thanks so much! I've printed out all the pages and plan to call the
provider tomorrow.

Ellen

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...