Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage or Freetalk

Reply
Thread Tools

Vonage or Freetalk

 
 
BB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2006
Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
features, but what about the service and reliability?

Thanks, BB

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2006

"BB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
> features, but what about the service and reliability?
>
> Thanks, BB
>


Hi BB
I have Freetalk and really like it. Call quality has been very good
overall-no noticeable difference to a landline. Plus you dont get dropouts
or lag like you can get on Skype. In fact I have to be careful I dont get my
handsets mixed up with the landline dect phones I have as the only way I
know thedifference between Freetalk connection and Telewest is to dial 1571
to hear the voicemail greeting! (one of my dect phones seems to like
switching base when switched off now and again!) The only thing you have to
watch is that you are charged 3p a minute if you go over an hour in a call.
Vonage do not do this as the calls are ruly unlimited. Vonage also offer
access to the emergency services whereas Freetalk do not. I thought of
trying Vonage myself but read some ropey reviews of their customer services.
You can get Vonage in Comet which is handy if you must give it a go and
Freetalk is supposedly in all DSG stores but in practice I had to go to PC
World.
Fred.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2006
On 29 Apr 2006 03:04:39 -0700, "BB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
>features, but what about the service and reliability?
>
>Thanks, BB

No difference if you do jot want the useful extra
features go with Freetalk service is equally excellent
from both.depending on exactly what you want out of a
service Voipfone is just as good and much cheaper just stay well away
from Sipgate if you want trouble free service .
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Ingle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2006
BB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
> features, but what about the service and reliability?
>

I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.

The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
reliability.

I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
it was often difficult to get through.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Kenyon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2006
Mark Ingle wrote:
> BB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
>> features, but what about the service and reliability?
>>

> I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
> wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
> extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
> dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.
>
> The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
> in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
> reliability.
>
> I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
> was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
> it was often difficult to get through.


I'm thinking of getting an incoming service from voipfone. Has anybody
else been suffering these problems?
 
Reply With Quote
 
M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2006
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:49:58 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark Ingle wrote:
>> BB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
>>> features, but what about the service and reliability?
>>>

>> I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
>> wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
>> extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
>> dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.
>>
>> The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
>> in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
>> reliability.
>>
>> I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
>> was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
>> it was often difficult to get through.

>
>I'm thinking of getting an incoming service from voipfone. Has anybody
>else been suffering these problems?

No problems with my voipfone account Tom but it is only used for
incoming calls plus outgoing via their mobile call back service so
cannot comment on what the guy above has said .
 
Reply With Quote
 
fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2006

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aia5g.20169$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark Ingle wrote:
>> BB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
>>> features, but what about the service and reliability?
>>>

>> I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
>> wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
>> extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
>> dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.
>>
>> The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
>> in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
>> reliability.
>>
>> I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
>> was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
>> it was often difficult to get through.

>
> I'm thinking of getting an incoming service from voipfone. Has anybody


> else been suffering these problems?


ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no such thing as a free lunch
remember!


 
Reply With Quote
 
M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2006
On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:54:57 GMT, "fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no such thing as a free lunch
>remember!

Nothing unreliable about Voipfone Fred sure you don't mean Sipgate
when you say "cheap unreliable providers"
 
Reply With Quote
 
fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:54:57 GMT, "fred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no such thing as a free
>>lunch
>>remember!

> Nothing unreliable about Voipfone Fred sure you don't mean Sipgate
> when you say "cheap unreliable providers"


Quite possibly-I get mixed up by al these voip names!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2006


"fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5pD6g.79131$(E-Mail Removed) k
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:54:57 GMT, "fred"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >
> > > ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no
> > > such thing as a free lunch
> > > remember!

> > Nothing unreliable about Voipfone Fred sure you don't
> > mean Sipgate when you say "cheap unreliable providers"

>
> Quite possibly-I get mixed up by al these voip names!


Take no notice of him Fred, he has a bee in his bonnet about Sipgate.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freetalk taken over by Vonage dv UK VOIP 21 09-02-2006 02:11 PM
Freetalk transfering to Vonage!"! ^^artnada^^ UK VOIP 10 09-01-2006 06:19 PM
Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference duncan.perrett@elekta.com UK VOIP 28 05-18-2006 10:03 PM
SIPGATE SEEMS RUBBISH - Back to Freetalk or Vonage for me! Maureen UK VOIP 13 12-12-2005 01:20 PM
Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk SidKnee UK VOIP 13 10-08-2005 08:55 PM



Advertisments