Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > which ports need to be open for VOIP?

which ports need to be open for VOIP?

Which incoming ports are used for VOIP? Which outgoing ports? is UDP
enough (at least for the incoming ports) or does one need TCPIP for
anything?

Thomas Sandford

"Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:e259ka$6nu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which incoming ports are used for VOIP? Which outgoing ports? is UDP
> enough (at least for the incoming ports) or does one need TCPIP for
> anything?

SIP itself requires port 5060 to be open (if you have multiple devices they
may use port 5061, etc). The RFC states that TCP or UDP may be used, but I
have never seen anything coming in on the TCP port (which is open, but
logged, on my firewall).

The call audio will then use RTP which is on hardware(and/or
configuration)-dependant UDP ports. For example my Sipura SPA-3000 uses
ports 16384-16482 (which is the default configuration for this model).

Hope this helps,
--
Thomas Sandford