Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Which ports need to be open for VOIP?

Which ports need to be open for VOIP?

I am using the AVM Fritz 5012 BEHIND another router. In other words,
the 5012 acts neither as a DSL modem nor as a DSL router. It is merely
one of many clients using an internet connection. (This is a supported
configuration.) Everything works fine. However, I think I have TOO
MANY ports open for VOIP.

The 5012 has a fixed IP address. The router has to know which ports
should be forwarded to which internal IP addresses. I am obviously
forwarding enough to the 5012, since everything works, but suspect that
I am forwarding too many.

Is there a definitive list of what ports are used for VOIP?

The 5012 and 5010 series are quite interesting. Like the 5050 (which
has the advantage that it works for both ISDN and analog connections),
if it has a direct DSL connection (the only possibility for the 5050),
it can either be a router and provide a connection for other things on
the LAN (with or without username/password) or just act as a DSL modem.
The 5010 (analog) and 5012 (ISDN), in addition, can be connected to just
the LAN. Also in this case, they can either act as a router for other
things on the network (with or without username/password), or use a
router already there (this is my case).

Martin²

Phillip Helbig:
>Is there a definitive list of what ports are used for VOIP?

I don't think so, different VoIP providers (sometimes) use different ports.
You could check which ones you need for your VoIP providers, or just close
the ones you think you don't need one by one.
Regards,
Martin

Ivor Jones

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4444483d$0$9229$(E-Mail Removed)
> Phillip Helbig:
> > Is there a definitive list of what ports are used for
> > VOIP?

> I don't think so, different VoIP providers (sometimes)
> use different ports. You could check which ones you need
> for your VoIP providers, or just close the ones you think
> you don't need one by one. Regards,
> Martin

Although the following seem to be "fairly" standard with most providers:

3478 UDP & TCP
5060 -5062 UDP
10000-10012 UDP & TCP

and possibly