Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Thinking about VOIP

Thinking about VOIP

Tim Morley

Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid v4
dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I need a
system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they just dial a
normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the orchid dialer.
Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

************************************************** *******************
Do you know what your kids are doing online?
Who are they chatting to? Are they doing anything illegal?

FREE internet safety information
http://www.pctattletale.com/cmd.php?af=300997
************************************************** *******************

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Tim Morley:
> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an
> orchid v4 dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land
> line. I need a system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family.
> ie they just dial a normal phone number, in the same way as they do
> through the orchid dialer. Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you
> any advice please?
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Tim

I've gone totally VoIP.

Yes you get caller ID and Call Waiting.

I use the LinkSys PAP2

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Andrew Gabriel

In article <b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid v4
> dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I need a
> system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they just dial a
> normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the orchid dialer.
> Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice please?

I converted my family to VoIP between themselves.
It was also important in my case that they could continue using
all the same phones they did before -- it would be a non-starter
if it involved different handsets, or switching on and using the
computer. I used mostly Sipura SPA-3000's which connect between
the regular phone line and the handsets. They then route some
calls between themselves over VoIP, and all other calls are
passed on to the normal phone line (which I was not intending
to get rid of). Callerid works fine both for normal phone calls
and VoIP (the SPA-3000 support's BT's callerid). One member of
the family has a phone which does the off-hook call waiting ID,
and apparently that works too.

--
Andrew Gabriel

=?iso-8859-1?B?UGhpbMU=?=

"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid v4
> dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I need a
> system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they just dial a
> normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the orchid dialer.
> Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice please?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yes, but I am on NTL, so don't need a landline for ADSL.

Saves me £11 PCM just on Line rental, then the othersavings as I am with
Sipdiscount so free calls 24/7

Tim Morley

"PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UOb_f.974$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>
>> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
>> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid v4
>> dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I need
>> a system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they just
>> dial a normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the orchid
>> dialer. Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice please?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Yes, but I am on NTL, so don't need a landline for ADSL.
>
> Saves me £11 PCM just on Line rental, then the othersavings as I am with
> Sipdiscount so free calls 24/7

Me too, on blueyonder (telewest) and upgrading to 4M down 386k upstream (I
think).
Are they suppliers that will give me a "local" exchange number for incoming
calls? or does this bit cost.

Thanks for your input so far

Jono

"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:hNc_f.50627$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOb_f.974$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news:b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>>
>>> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
>>> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid
>>> v4 dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I
>>> need a system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they
>>> just dial a normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the
>>> orchid dialer. Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice
>>> please?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Yes, but I am on NTL, so don't need a landline for ADSL.
>>
>> Saves me £11 PCM just on Line rental, then the othersavings as I am with
>> Sipdiscount so free calls 24/7

> Me too, on blueyonder (telewest) and upgrading to 4M down 386k upstream (I
> think).
> Are they suppliers that will give me a "local" exchange number for
> incoming calls? or does this bit cost.
>
> Thanks for your input so far

Sipdiscount give a free geographical number - beware, though, if you don't
live somewhere like Birmingham or London (or at least put a fake address in
your account details) you will get an 0560 number. (NTL won't deliver calls
to 0560 numbers)

Sipgate provide a geographical number for an STD of your choosing, as does
voip.co.uk. The former requires no credit, the latter £10.

=?iso-8859-1?B?UGhpbMU=?=

"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:hNc_f.50627$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOb_f.974$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news:b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>>
>>> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
>>> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid
>>> v4 dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I
>>> need a system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they
>>> just dial a normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the
>>> orchid dialer. Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice
>>> please?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Yes, but I am on NTL, so don't need a landline for ADSL.
>>
>> Saves me £11 PCM just on Line rental, then the othersavings as I am with
>> Sipdiscount so free calls 24/7

> Me too, on blueyonder (telewest) and upgrading to 4M down 386k upstream (I
> think).
> Are they suppliers that will give me a "local" exchange number for
> incoming calls? or does this bit cost.
>
> Thanks for your input so far

Ohh and I am on the 1MB DL and 100k Upload, the basic.

I can still have a PC on at the same time, XBOX Live and make a phone call
on this with no problems.

Duncan MacCallum

In message <hNc_f.50627$(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote:

> "PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOb_f.974$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>>
>>> Anyone here gone totally voip and ditched their landline?
>>> I am currently using a dect handset system (siemens) through an orchid v4
>>> dialer and a combination of 1899, 18866, and my actual land line. I need
>>> a system that is trnasparent (completely!) to my family. ie they just
>>> dial a normal phone number, in the same way as they do through the orchid
>>> dialer. Do you get caller id on an ata? Have you any advice please?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Yes, but I am on NTL, so don't need a landline for ADSL.
>>
>> Saves me £11 PCM just on Line rental, then the othersavings as I am with
>> Sipdiscount so free calls 24/7

> Me too, on blueyonder (telewest) and upgrading to 4M down 386k upstream (I
> think).
> Are they suppliers that will give me a "local" exchange number for incoming
> calls? or does this bit cost.
>
> Thanks for your input so far

I have been with BT BBV almost since it inception however just
changed router and had probs with incoming call.
BT support now saying they will not support any hardware unless
supplied by them........
Moved to Freetalk this afternoon, free geo number plus plug and play
setup with TA and cheaper than BT.
Now with geo number no reason to stay with TW as telco provider

cheers

--
Duncan MacCallum

Nick

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:hNc_f.50627$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >
> > "PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:UOb_f.974$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> >> message news:b46_f.50393$(E-Mail Removed) k...

the

> >> Yes, but I am on NTL, so don't need a landline for ADSL.
> >>
> >> Saves me £11 PCM just on Line rental, then the othersavings as I am

with
> >> Sipdiscount so free calls 24/7

> > Me too, on blueyonder (telewest) and upgrading to 4M down 386k upstream

(I
> > think).
> > Are they suppliers that will give me a "local" exchange number for
> > incoming calls? or does this bit cost.
> >
> > Thanks for your input so far
> >

> Sipdiscount give a free geographical number - beware, though, if you don't
> live somewhere like Birmingham or London (or at least put a fake address

in
> your account details) you will get an 0560 number. (NTL won't deliver

calls
> to 0560 numbers)
>
> Sipgate provide a geographical number for an STD of your choosing, as does
> voip.co.uk. The former requires no credit, the latter £10.

NTL won't deliver calls to 0560 numbers

I have NTL landline that receives incoming 0560 numbers fine
..

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Nick:
> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news:hNc_f.50627$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>
>>> "PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:UOb_f.974$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Me too, on blueyonder (telewest) and upgrading to 4M down 386k
>>> upstream (I think).
>>> Are they suppliers that will give me a "local" exchange number for
>>> incoming calls? or does this bit cost.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input so far
>>>

>> Sipdiscount give a free geographical number - beware, though, if you
>> don't live somewhere like Birmingham or London (or at least put a
>> fake address in your account details) you will get an 0560 number.
>> (NTL won't deliver calls to 0560 numbers)
>>
>> Sipgate provide a geographical number for an STD of your choosing,
>> as does voip.co.uk. The former requires no credit, the latter £10.
>>

> NTL won't deliver calls to 0560 numbers
>
> I have NTL landline that receives incoming 0560 numbers fine
> .

Well yes of course the NTL landline receives calls fine for that it doesn't
matter what the CLID is.

What you will find is people on NTL lines often can't call out to 0560
numbers.