Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?

Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?

Chris

Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
Please advise.
--
Chris

Ivor Jones

"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
newswwQdYEfhrIEFw9E@[127.0.0.1]
> Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
> Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
> Please advise.

I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a great fan of Skype, I
don't like proprietary protocols or systems that force me to use certain
software and/or hardware.

Ivor

Chris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>newswwQdYEfhrIEFw9E@[127.0.0.1]

>> Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
>> Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

>I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a great fan of Skype, I
>don't like proprietary protocols or systems that force me to use certain
>software and/or hardware.

Thanks for your quick reply.
What would you recommend?
I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international calls.
I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as Telestunt.
--
Chris

Peter

"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
newswwQdYEfhrIEFw9E@[127.0.0.1]...
> Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
> Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
> Please advise.
> --
> Chris

Chris, Skype tries ports 80 and 443 if it fails with its default port. So
if you can browse the net and access pages you should be OK with Skype too.

Peter

muzz

Chris wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>> newswwQdYEfhrIEFw9E@[127.0.0.1]

>>> Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
>>> Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

>> I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a
>> great fan of Skype, I don't like proprietary protocols
>> or systems that force me to use certain software and/or
>> hardware.

> Thanks for your quick reply.
> What would you recommend?
> I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international
> calls. I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as
> Telestunt.

You could try VOIPstunt. Right now UK calls are free so long as you open an
account with 8.17. You have to use some credit within 120days to keep it
alive. Oh and I DID need to forward the port to get decent sound quality on
this.

--
Muzz
my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com

Chris

In article <44230f3a$(E-Mail Removed)>, muzz
<none@?.?.invalid> writes
>Chris wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>> "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>>> newswwQdYEfhrIEFw9E@[127.0.0.1]

>>> I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a
>>> great fan of Skype, I don't like proprietary protocols
>>> or systems that force me to use certain software and/or
>>> hardware.

>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>> What would you recommend?
>> I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international
>> calls. I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as
>> Telestunt.

>You could try VOIPstunt. Right now UK calls are free so long as you open an
>account with 8.17. You have to use some credit within 120days to keep it
>alive. Oh and I DID need to forward the port to get decent sound quality on
>this.

Does the credit on VOIPcheap time out.
I was looking for catches on their site - but didn't notice any.
That doesn't mean there aren't any though!
Do you know of any?
--
Chris

Joao Saraiva