Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Serviced office Avaya phone Asterisk VoIP question

Serviced office Avaya phone Asterisk VoIP question

corb

Hi All,

I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya Index
2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but we
are dependant on the main number incoming number.

I would like for the 3 Avaya phone line extensions to be connected to an
Asterisk server somehow, and then it would be good if we could use sip based
phones to make outgoing calls via the asterisk server and VOIP. We could
then also use DDI provided by VOIP provider etc and use the advanced pbx
features, we only have a single company number provded.

This leads me to my question, is the above possible (keeping in mind I don't
have access to the Avaya Index phone system except to what is in the
office), what additional hardware is required, and how difficult would the
setup be?

Many thanks for all your help in advance, and I apologise if this is the
incorrect group to post, if so can someone recommend a more appropriate
group?

Craig.

me@privacy.net

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:10:39 GMT, "corb"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya Index
>2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but we
>are dependant on the main number incoming number.

Pay to divert the main incoming to a new VOIP system. The Avaya should
have a divert all option or *21* code.

The new VOIP system will come with it's own 020 number - you divert
your old number to the new one.

Else, port your main number to the new VOIP provider.

Voipfone.co.uk is very easy to use, you can set up multiple
extensions with their own phone numbers, music on hold, call queuing,
IVR on the way soon, call rates reasonable, reliable, they offer
number porting so you can bring your number with you, they also offer
bundle minute deals. Line rental around 2 a month per extension, plus
you pay 2 if you have 020 numbers. If you use 0870 you don't pay the
extra rental.

Buy the snom range of IP phones which cost anything from 100 to 200.

corb

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:10:39 GMT, "corb"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya
>>2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but
>>we
>>are dependant on the main number incoming number.

> Pay to divert the main incoming to a new VOIP system. The Avaya should
> have a divert all option or *21* code.
>
> The new VOIP system will come with it's own 020 number - you divert
> your old number to the new one.
>
> Else, port your main number to the new VOIP provider.
>
> Voipfone.co.uk is very easy to use, you can set up multiple
> extensions with their own phone numbers, music on hold, call queuing,
> IVR on the way soon, call rates reasonable, reliable, they offer
> number porting so you can bring your number with you, they also offer
> bundle minute deals. Line rental around 2 a month per extension, plus
> you pay 2 if you have 020 numbers. If you use 0870 you don't pay the
> extra rental.
>
> Buy the snom range of IP phones which cost anything from 100 to 200.

Unfortunately the main office number belongs to the serviced office complex,
in addition we get charged so high for the calls included diverted calls.

me@privacy.net

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:01:33 GMT, "corb"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unfortunately the main office number belongs to the serviced office complex,
>in addition we get charged so high for the calls included diverted calls.

Get an 0800 freefone for 4.99 a month from Voipfone, divert all your
*old* Avaya calls to the *new* 0800 voipfone number. They shouldn't
charge you for free 0800 calls??

If you can't do that, then I don't know that much about Avaya, but I
don't think there is much you can do unless you get the help of the
system admin behind your phone system.

If your Avaya system is pretty old, you might be able to get some kind
of gateway that can convert H323 to SIP.

Not cheap at all - 0800 would be the cheapest way.
http://www.itarchitect.com/shared/ar...469&classroom=

Somebody asked a similar question.
http://groups.google.com/group/Aster...ya+H.323&fwc=1

Best thing to do is get a new VOIP system, which is to buy snom IP
phones and sign up to Voipfone. At least you can take the system with
you if you move, and have teleworkers answering calls from home.

Give everybody your new phone number.
Might be worth getting various 0845/0800/0870/020 numbers so you never
have to change your phone numbers again.

alexd

corb wrote:

> I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya
> 2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but
> we are dependant on the main number incoming number.

ITYM H.323. Get a non-geo number you can take anywhere with you, redirect it
to a VoIP DDI and stick a voicemail message on your old number saying that
your number has changed to $VOIP-DDI.

> I would like for the 3 Avaya phone line extensions to be connected to an
> Asterisk server somehow, and then it would be good if we could use sip
> based phones to make outgoing calls via the asterisk server and VOIP. We
> could then also use DDI provided by VOIP provider etc and use the advanced
> pbx features, we only have a single company number provded.

To get incoming call termination over VoIP you'll need quite a degree of
control over your internet connection - usually involving port forwarding
etc. If you've got that much control, you'll probably be able to get a PSTN
circuit installed. You could then connect your Asterisk to that.

> This leads me to my question, is the above possible (keeping in mind I
> don't have access to the Avaya Index phone system except to what is in the
> office), what additional hardware is required, and how difficult would the
> setup be?

I presume your Avaya IP phones connect back to the PBX via Ethernet [or
PoE]? In which case, an ethernet card is all you need. Unfortunately
having done a quick google, it looks like Avaya speaks a mildly different
dialect of H.323 to everybody else, which effectively means it won't be any
use to you

13:38:23 up 11 days, 4:24, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

corb

"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> corb wrote:
>
>> I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya
>> 2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but
>> we are dependant on the main number incoming number.

> ITYM H.323. Get a non-geo number you can take anywhere with you, redirect
> it
> to a VoIP DDI and stick a voicemail message on your old number saying that
> your number has changed to $VOIP-DDI.
>
>> I would like for the 3 Avaya phone line extensions to be connected to an
>> Asterisk server somehow, and then it would be good if we could use sip
>> based phones to make outgoing calls via the asterisk server and VOIP. We
>> could then also use DDI provided by VOIP provider etc and use the
>> pbx features, we only have a single company number provded.

> To get incoming call termination over VoIP you'll need quite a degree of
> control over your internet connection - usually involving port forwarding
> etc. If you've got that much control, you'll probably be able to get a
> PSTN
> circuit installed. You could then connect your Asterisk to that.
>
>> This leads me to my question, is the above possible (keeping in mind I
>> don't have access to the Avaya Index phone system except to what is in
>> the
>> office), what additional hardware is required, and how difficult would
>> the
>> setup be?

> I presume your Avaya IP phones connect back to the PBX via Ethernet [or
> PoE]? In which case, an ethernet card is all you need. Unfortunately
> having done a quick google, it looks like Avaya speaks a mildly different
> dialect of H.323 to everybody else, which effectively means it won't be
> any
> use to you
>
> --
> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
> 13:38:23 up 11 days, 4:24, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
> This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Hi, thanks for the info.

Craig.