Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > BT Broadband Talk

BT Broadband Talk

Alan Penn

Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
bad. Is it good value for money?

Regards Alan

old man

on a pure cost of call basis - expensive.
But then it may depend on your usage as to whether another service would be
more cost effective.
eg vonage / sipgate to name but two

"Alan Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
> bad. Is it good value for money?
>
> Regards Alan

Thomas Kenyon

old man wrote:
> on a pure cost of call basis - expensive.
> But then it may depend on your usage as to whether another service would be
> more cost effective.
> eg vonage / sipgate to name but two

Not to mention they only give you an 056 number that is generally more
expensive to call than a national-rate number and cannot be called from
some ntl exchanges. (And afaik is not included in anyones bundled
minutes packages on their mobiles).

> "Alan Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
>>bad. Is it good value for money?
>>
>>Regards Alan

Duncan MacCallum

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Alan Penn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
> bad. Is it good value for money?
>
> Regards Alan

As a non BT customer they charge me 7.99 for 24/7 geographic calls
which I think is good value considering I can still use my normal
hands free phone.

Ok I dont get many incoming call but with no line rental next step is
to get rid of telewest line

Cheers
--
Duncan MacCallum

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:03:14 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As a non BT customer they charge me 7.99 for 24/7 geographic calls
>which I think is good value considering I can still use my normal
>hands free phone.

Compared with what sipgate or voip.co.uk offer, that looks expensive,
and the other two give you a free local number in the 01nn range.

Duncan MacCallum

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:03:14 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> As a non BT customer they charge me 7.99 for 24/7 geographic calls
>>which I think is good value considering I can still use my normal
>>hands free phone.

> Compared with what sipgate or voip.co.uk offer, that looks expensive,
> and the other two give you a free local number in the 01nn range.

Certainly free 01 number would be bonus but does it also include
free TA allowing me to use existing dect phone?

cheers

--
Duncan MacCallum

Scope

Duncan MacCallum wrote:
> Certainly free 01 number would be bonus but does it also include
> free TA allowing me to use existing dect phone?

These can be had for as little as 20 (PAP2), and then it's all yours..
I think BT should be really worried about the VoIP business, considering
they hardly seem interested themselves.

I got a PAP2 hooked it up to my router, signed up for sipdisount.com, got at
0121 number for free, free UK landlines, + lots of other free calls, all for
10 euros every 120 days or 1.70 per month, BT, and Telewest can go sing for
their money.

Opeel
"Alan Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
> bad. Is it good value for money?
>
> Regards Alan

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:55:09 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Certainly free 01 number would be bonus but does it also include
>free TA allowing me to use existing dect phone?

You will never get a free TA. The two companies I mentioned sell them
with or without call bundles, or you can get one cheaper by locking
yourself into paying Vonage 8 per month.

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:13:05 +0000, Scope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>These can be had for as little as 20 (PAP2), and then it's all yours..

Yours, but the 20 ones are locked to Vonage, and they won't give you
the admin password. Not ever. Even though it is your device.

There are ways to unlock them, but the amount of hassle involved makes
paying 30 or so more for an unlocked one a rather more appealing
prospect.

>I think BT should be really worried about the VoIP business,

Oh, they are. Even they've noticed the writing one the wall, which is
why most of their efforts are going into pretending to be a
networking, IT integration and services company.

>considering
>they hardly seem interested themselves.

Eh? Haven't you heard of their 21st Century Network project? BT are
moving their entire PSTN system across to VOIP over the next few
years, starting with somewhere in Wales (Swansea?) later this year.

VOIP-Buster nummbers free with Talk-Talk? PavaRodney UK VOIP 4 01-01-2007 12:37 PM
Change to Talk Talk Bob B Wireless Networking 2 08-24-2006 09:19 AM
Change to talk talk Bob B Computer Support 1 08-23-2006 08:49 PM
Skype and Talk Talk Sacred UK VOIP 9 08-01-2006 08:57 PM
Unable to post to talk.origins - but talk.atheism ok Rolf Computer Support 2 04-09-2006 09:48 AM

Advertisments