Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > DID with SIP

DID with SIP

Brian A

Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be diverted to SIP
addresses ?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Brian A

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 21:50:12 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be diverted to SIP
>addresses ?

I meant to say UK GEOGRAPHIC DID number.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Paul Cupis

Brian A wrote:
> Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be diverted to SIP
> addresses ?

Define cheap.

Richard Smith

Brian A wrote:
> Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be diverted to SIP
> addresses ?

Generally, you'll find that most providers worth their salt won't
redirect to sip address. Mostly because this could be used (depending
on the platform that's implemented) to create a denial of service on
the server, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Calls could be:

- inadvertantly bounced between supliers
- sent to an unroutable address
- sent to an address (sip:(E-Mail Removed)) that redirects to another address
(sip:(E-Mail Removed)) that redirects to the first address (sip:(E-Mail Removed)), ergo,
routing loop.
- plethora of other examples.

If someone were to flood that number with calls, the services could
easily overload or run out of memory or whatever, since it can be
paticularly difficult to filter these calls[1].

There may be one or two suppliers though. I can't quote any off the top
of my head.

~ Rich

[1] Some providers remove SIP headers in order to hide infrastructure.

Ivor Jones

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 21:50:12 GMT, Brian A
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be
> > diverted to SIP addresses ?

> I meant to say UK GEOGRAPHIC DID number.

www.ipkall.com provide free US numbers (and very good they are too..!),
but I can't think of a UK equivalent offhand.

Ivor

Thomas Sandford

"Richard Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Brian A wrote:
>> Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be diverted to SIP
>> addresses ?

> Generally, you'll find that most providers worth their salt won't
> redirect to sip address. Mostly because this could be used (depending
> on the platform that's implemented) to create a denial of service on
> the server, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Am I missing something. I thought the OP was asking for a source of UK
numbers which could be assigned to a SIP phone/device - like Sipgate,
Gradwell and countless other UK suppliers do.

--
Thomas Sandford

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Sandford" <${thomas/03$}@paradisegreen.co.uk> wrote
in message news:440d684d$0$1174$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Richard Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Brian A wrote:
> > > Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can
> > > be diverted to SIP addresses ?

> > Generally, you'll find that most providers worth their
> > salt won't redirect to sip address. Mostly because this
> > could be used (depending on the platform that's
> > implemented) to create a denial of service on the
> > server, either intentionally or unintentionally. ...

> Am I missing something. I thought the OP was asking for a
> source of UK numbers which could be assigned to a SIP
> phone/device - like Sipgate, Gradwell and countless other
> UK suppliers do.

He said SIP *address* not SIP device. I read it as a number that could be
directed to an *existing* SIP address.

www.ipkall.com do this for US phone numbers, but I can't think of a UK
equivalent offhand.

Ivor

Paul Cupis

Richard Smith wrote:
> Brian A wrote:
>>Anyone know a cheap source of a DID number that can be diverted to SIP
>>addresses ?

> Generally, you'll find that most providers worth their salt won't
> redirect to sip address. Mostly because this could be used (depending
> on the platform that's implemented) to create a denial of service on
> the server, either intentionally or unintentionally.
>
> Calls could be:
>
> - inadvertantly bounced between supliers

Can be done with PSTN, what's special about doing it with VoIP?

> - sent to an unroutable address

I'm fairly sure you can do this with PSTN.

> - sent to an address (sip:(E-Mail Removed)) that redirects to another address
> (sip:(E-Mail Removed)) that redirects to the first address (sip:(E-Mail Removed)), ergo,
> routing loop.

You can do this with PSTN.

> - plethora of other examples.

Any which are "impossible" to do on PSTN, or which otherwise make VoIP
special?

Thomas Sandford

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Thomas Sandford" <${thomas/03$}@paradisegreen.co.uk> wrote
> in message news:440d684d$0$1174$(E-Mail Removed)
>> "Richard Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >
>> > Generally, you'll find that most providers worth their
>> > salt won't redirect to sip address. Mostly because this
>> > could be used (depending on the platform that's
>> > implemented) to create a denial of service on the
>> > server, either intentionally or unintentionally. ...

>> Am I missing something. I thought the OP was asking for a
>> source of UK numbers which could be assigned to a SIP
>> phone/device - like Sipgate, Gradwell and countless other
>> UK suppliers do.

> He said SIP *address* not SIP device. I read it as a number that could be
> directed to an *existing* SIP address.
>
> www.ipkall.com do this for US phone numbers, but I can't think of a UK
> equivalent offhand.

Ah - right - I do see the distinction (though I'm not convinced that the OP
wasn't asking the wring question in that case!). Gradwell _do_ provide the
type of forwarding you refer to:

http://www.gradwell.com/voip/asterisk.php

(it talks about asterisk, but the SIP inbound would/should work with any SIP
address).
[I dare say other providers exist, but I _know_ Gradwell do it].

--
Thomas Sandford

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Sandford" <${thomas/03$}@paradisegreen.co.uk> wrote
in message news:440da03c$0$1168$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

> > He said SIP *address* not SIP device. I read it as a
> > number that could be directed to an *existing* SIP
> > address. www.ipkall.com do this for US phone numbers, but I
> > can't think of a UK equivalent offhand.

> Ah - right - I do see the distinction (though I'm not
> convinced that the OP wasn't asking the wring question in
> that case!). Gradwell _do_ provide the type of forwarding
> you refer to:
> http://www.gradwell.com/voip/asterisk.php
>
> (it talks about asterisk, but the SIP inbound
> would/should work with any SIP address).
> [I dare say other providers exist, but I _know_ Gradwell
> do it].

Thanks, I hadn't spotted that. Pity there isn't a free one like ipkall
though

Ivor