Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Couple of n00b questions - please help :)

Couple of n00b questions - please help :)

Hellraiser

Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am on the verge of
getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
have a couple of questions though....

1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
probably have me shot if this doesn't work

2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the Sky
uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will this
work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
voip.co.uk or similar?

3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do direct
debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and
be reliable for as little as possible

Thanks all

Hellraiser.............>

Ivor Jones

"Hellraiser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am
> on the verge of getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my
> phone requirements across to this. I have a couple of
> questions though....
> 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx
> numbers)? My wife tends to enter a lot of these
> competitions you see on the telly and she'll probably
> have me shot if this doesn't work

As a general rule, no. Some providers may allow it but I don't know of any
offhand.

> 2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a
> little and as the Sky uses the PSTN to communicate with
> head office via 33.6k modem, will this work over VoIP as
> well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
> voip.co.uk or similar?

Again, some people have reported problems with this. I personally wouldn't
touch $ky with a bargepole so I'm not really the best person to ask..!

> 3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem
> to be much of a muchness, but I ideally want one without
> a monthly charge who will do direct debit, allow premium
> rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and be
> reliable for as little as possible

The $64,000 question..! Sipgate don't have a monthly charge but have had
reliability problems. Gradwell have a reputation for reliability, but
charge 4+VAT per month. I have no experience of any other providers so
you'll have to see what others say.

Ivor

I have the PAP2, a bit of a sod to setup, I am with sipdiscount only for a
couple of day now and no probs at all just free calls at 1.70 per month
with free uk land lines

Neil
"Hellraiser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am on the verge of
> getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this.
> I have a couple of questions though....
>
> 1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My
> wife tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and
> she'll probably have me shot if this doesn't work
>
> 2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the
> Sky uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will
> this work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a
> PAP2 on voip.co.uk or similar?
>
> 3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
> muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do
> direct debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical
> number and be reliable for as little as possible
>
> Thanks all
>
> Hellraiser.............>

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:02:42 GMT, "><\)\)\)'> Orange Peel <'\(\(\(><"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have the PAP2, a bit of a sod to setup,

From what I have seen it is no different to set up than a Sipura2000
the inst book is the same . What problems did you encounter then I
only ask because I have just bought one this afternoon .

Brian A

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:32:30 -0000, "Hellraiser"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Like the idea of not paying Teleworst 10.50/month, so am on the verge of
>getting a Linksys PAP2 and migrating my phone requirements across to this. I
>have a couple of questions though....
>
>1) Can premium rate numbers be dialled with VoIP (09xxx numbers)? My wife
>tends to enter a lot of these competitions you see on the telly and she'll
>probably have me shot if this doesn't work

Probably not. I think that you would have to make email enquiries to
operators in order to find out. However, I think that you might be
better pursuing landline companies that might route these numbers for
you, via a 'callthrough' and have a number that can be accessed from
voip - perhaps a standard geographic or an 08 number access.

>2) On a similar note, I tend to use Sky interactive a little and as the Sky
>uses the PSTN to communicate with head office via 33.6k modem, will this
>work over VoIP as well? Anyone got their sky box hooked up thru a PAP2 on
>voip.co.uk or similar?

It might work ....like fax might work. You won't know for sure until
you try it.

>3) Who is the best/most reliable provider? They all seem to be much of a
>muchness, but I ideally want one without a monthly charge who will do direct
>debit, allow premium rate/modem calling, give me a geographical number and
>be reliable for as little as possible

voipfone.co.uk - excelllent incoming services
voip.co.uk - excellent UK tariff.

You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

Other than this group check out google groups, for previous postings,
and voxilla.com for more information.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Hellraiser

> You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
> boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
> accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
> outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
> are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.

Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play

Cheers all

Hellraiser...............>

Brian A

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:09:49 -0000, "Hellraiser"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You might be best advised to install your voip before burning your
>> boats with TW. That way you wil find whether there are ways of
>> accessing the numbers you require. You can have an unlimited number of
>> outgoing providers if you know how to configure your dial plan. You
>> are NOT limited to the provider you receive your calls from.
>>

>Many thanks for the advice - I don't tend to use the landline much anyhow,
>but will get my PAP2 first, unlock it then have a play

Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
the firmware. There's lots written on the Net about it. Good Luck!
Let know how you got on...without being too specific.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
>safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
>the firmware.

I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
admin it is a user name and password ! .

Brian A

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:41:06 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
>>safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
>>the firmware.

>I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
>admin it is a user name and password ! .

But that is the whole point...if you knew the username and password it
wouldn't be locked.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:55:46 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:41:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:30:21 GMT, Brian A
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Er...the unlock it bit...have you done this before? If not I think the
>>>safest way might be the spoof method...it can be risky mucking with
>>>the firmware.

>>I think I have just unlocked mine all I think I need to get into the
>>admin it is a user name and password ! .

>But that is the whole point...if you knew the username and password it
>wouldn't be locked.

I do not think it is quite that simple I could not even get into it
before inputting some codes via the phone which I found on Google
and there are quite a number of people saying they have an unlocked
one and no one has even mentioned passwords or user names .
I have bought a unlocked one of ebay this afternoon and have been sent
the passwords nothing special just the same as for the Sipura's but
won't work on the one I have here .