Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

Is Voip.co.uk more reliable than Sipgate?

Sam Jones

I have now taken the plunge and cancelled my landline and am looking
to replace it with voip via my cable modem.

I currently have a Sipgate account which sometimes isn't reliable. Eg.
The first time you dial it the number isn't recognised but then it
works when you try again. Also I get occasional engaged tones when
dialing out when I know the number isn't busy.

Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

M-Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
said it was a routing problem being caused by BT and it would be fixed
by that evening and it was so far so good and the line worked
perfectly up until last Thursday evening when I decided to get a
second number after which neither number would work correctly.
I have spent most of this afternoon on the phone to them trying
various things but the system will still not play ball,with the second
number disabled the first works fine.
I needed to go out for an hour this afternoon and left everything has
it was called the guy when I got back and he told me he had been
watching my two numbers while I was away and said both had shown as
going off line for 15 minutes and then going on line again and my two
sipura's where showing registered all the time but both lines where
dead just has I had left them.The guy is going to have discussions
with their network guys to find the cause of this problem .
In direct answer to your question I would say get one line from them
but think twice about getting two it was only when I got the second
number/line that it all went to cock .
You can't grumble at two pounds a month for free calls evenings and
weekends which is more than you get from most of the other providers.

Dave Gill

Sam Jones wrote:

> Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

I can't really comment on incoming calls, but outgoing calls have been
pretty reliable. A bit of a hiccup last week when the ATA occasionally
lost registration, but otherwise nothing to report.

I think a bit of a Google will bring up a few voicemail problems, but I
don't know what the current situation is there.

Brian A

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:19:23 +0000, Dave Gill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sam Jones wrote:
>
>> Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

>I can't really comment on incoming calls, but outgoing calls have been
>pretty reliable. A bit of a hiccup last week when the ATA occasionally
>lost registration, but otherwise nothing to report.
>
>I think a bit of a Google will bring up a few voicemail problems, but I
>don't know what the current situation is there.

I find voip.co.uk reliable. There has been the occasional problem but
generally they are good. The price is right and was just what I was
looking for. Compared to Sipgate they win in nearly every respect.
The voicemail though, currently, is basic. However, they tell me that
they are intending to update it soon. What I would like to see is the
ability call divert either to SIP addreses or to peering numbers.
Currently it is possible to divert only to standard numbers.
The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
they are fixing.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Paul Cupis

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
information?

M-Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:46:36 +0000, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

>> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
>> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
>> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
>> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

>Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
>information?

No but it was fixed the same day with no further problems until I got
the second number last week .
I have in fact had both numbers receiving and calling out perfectly
tonight via soft phones but when I put the settings back into my
Sipura's no joy . I know it isn't anything to do with myself or the
Sipura's has I have had various other providers working perfectly
in them including Sipgate on and off more off than on may I add )) .
To give a fair assessment of voip I would have to say they are ok
and very helpful when you call them but they appear to be a little wet
behind the ears yet .

M-Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
>they are fixing.

Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .

DJ

In message <du2juo$2qg4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Cupis
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:55:34 GMT, Sam Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>Is the voip.co.uk service likely to be more reliable?

>> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
>> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
>> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
>> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

>Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
>information?

This can be a BT problem, I had exactly that problem a while ago, but
with my sipgate number before sipgate went very crappy.
I reported it to BT and they fixed it, but got no feedback as to what
they did to fix it.

--
DJ

Paul Cupis

DJ wrote:
> In message <du2juo$2qg4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Cupis
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> My experience of them so far is mixed I signed up with them about
>>> three weeks ago the first night I could dial out no problem but could
>>> not receive incoming calls . I called them the next day and the guy
>>> said it was a routing problem being caused by BT

>> Really? This does not sound likely to me - did they give any further
>> information?

> This can be a BT problem,

What can? I might concede that BT Broadband customers might have their
VoIP affected by BT, but I don't think it is likely that other people
will be affected by "BT Routing problem which is fixed same day" if none
of the parties are using BT Broadband or other BT Internet products.

Thomas Kenyon

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:58:53 GMT, Brian A
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The site lacks documentation - that is something else they tell me
>>they are fixing.

> Their site/software needs fixing full stop and they do know about this
> so they say , if you have two sip accounts with them and you go into
> say the top one and make some alteration the next time you go in there
> that particular account has jumped to second place and so on .

Yeah, the whole site looks like it's been put together by someone who
hasn't used SQL before. (no ORDER BY clause in the query in a lot of SQL
servers will order the results by the last time they were modified).