Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP What to choose

VOIP What to choose

david.holman@talk21.com

Hi

Just a few questions to you experts out there before i go for voip at
home.

I want to get the voip option that will use a seperate router without
using my PC (fritz ata?) as i want to interface it with my internal
phone system and access it throughout the house.

1. What is the charge to ring a voip number from a standard uk number
on BT?

2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone number
you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally lived)
rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able to call me
at the local call rate.

3. Has anyone had any experience of my intended set up?

4.So go on what company should I opt for, at the end of the day I want
to save money making all the usual calls, local, mobile, long distance
(well Devon>Sussex) I will not be making international calls

Thanks

Dave

paul123

> Hi
>
> Just a few questions to you experts out there before i go for voip at
> home.
>
> I want to get the voip option that will use a seperate router without
> using my PC (fritz ata?) as i want to interface it with my internal
> phone system and access it throughout the house.
>
> 1. What is the charge to ring a voip number from a standard uk number
> on BT?

The caller gets charged the normal BT charges (or whichever company
you connect with)

> 2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone number
> you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally lived)
> rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able to call me
> at the local call rate.

If your family is in Sussex - they'lll get charged local rate to call a
Sussex local number.

> 3. Has anyone had any experience of my intended set up?

Yes,a lot of regulars on this group use ATAs or VoIP routers.

> 4.So go on what company should I opt for, at the end of the day I want
> to save money making all the usual calls, local, mobile, long distance
> (well Devon>Sussex) I will not be making international calls

So many to choose from, but check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org,
sipgate.co.uk, sipdiscount.com, voipstunt.com and internetcalls.com
(these last three are from the same company).

Paul

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh paul123:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> 2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone
>> number you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally
>> lived) rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able
>> to call me at the local call rate.

> If your family is in Sussex - they'lll get charged local rate to call
> a Sussex local number.

Also worth noting that for non-business customers (residential) the vast
majority of telecom service providers don't differentiate between local or
nationa calls pricing wisel, even BT, on their Together plan they charge the
same rate to call 01 and 02 numbers whether they are local or national.

--
For 5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

hairydog@despammed.com

On 27 Feb 2006 00:25:17 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I want to get the voip option that will use a seperate router without
>using my PC (fritz ata?) as i want to interface it with my internal
>phone system and access it throughout the house.

That's standard.

>1. What is the charge to ring a voip number from a standard uk number
>on BT?

It depends. Some VOIP services give you a proper 'local' number, so
the call charges are the standard ones. Some issue an 0870 or (maybe)
0845 number, which costs more to call. Some issue numbers from another
range, but I don't know the details. I'd only consider a standard
local number.

>2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone number
>you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally lived)
>rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able to call me
>at the local call rate.

Yes, but as there is no difference between local and national calls
any more, it doesn't matter.

>3. Has anyone had any experience of my intended set up?

Loads of people.

>4.So go on what company should I opt for, at the end of the day I want
>to save money making all the usual calls, local, mobile, long distance
>(well Devon>Sussex) I will not be making international calls

To many to say. It depends what numbers you will call, when, how many,
etc etc.

We use sipgate.co.uk and voip.co.uk but there are loads of others.

Motorcyclesaur

"paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> So many to choose from, but check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org,
> sipgate.co.uk, sipdiscount.com, voipstunt.com and internetcalls.com
> (these last three are from the same company).

I tried on the Voipstunt website but there seems to be no info about how to
use an IP phone with their service, and it appear that you must use their
softphone.

Do you know if there is a way around this problem?

BigBen

>"paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>
>> So many to choose from, but check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org,
>> sipgate.co.uk, sipdiscount.com, voipstunt.com and internetcalls.com
>> (these last three are from the same company).

Good point: the last 3 being from the same company, price issues
aside, technically, do they work exactly the same way??

If not, what are the diferences?

TIA,
jbr