Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > why might my new phone not work with Vonage?

why might my new phone not work with Vonage?

piersstanding@googlemail.com

Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
tried another phone and that doesn't work either.

Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.

Is there some compatability issue?

My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.

Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

Might the fact that my old phone has a power source for its answering
be boosting something?

thank you

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an
> old land-line phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which
> doesn't work at all. I tried another phone and that
> doesn't work either.
>
> Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular
> land-line phones.
>
> Is there some compatability issue?
>
> My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.
>
> Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that
> connects my phone to the adapter have something to do
> with it?
>
> Might the fact that my old phone has a power source for
> its answering be boosting something?
>
> thank you

Define "doesn't work" - is the phone totally dead, does it work but not
ring, what..?

I suspect it may well be the cable you are using, be aware that there are
many variants of RJ11<>RJ11 cables, not all of which are wired the same. I
assume the phone came with a normal lead with a UK plug on it..? Plug this
into the adaptor that should have came with the adaptor and plug that into
the adaptor.

Ivor

Ian

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
> phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
> tried another phone and that doesn't work either.
>
> Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.
>
> Is there some compatability issue?
>
> My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.
>
> Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
> phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

Hi

There may well be two problems here

1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11
This means a DEAD phone
2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
adaptors* with the ring cct i them

Ian (* I do sell them, See www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/shop for details)

Thomas Kenyon

Ian wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
>>phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
>>tried another phone and that doesn't work either.
>>
>>Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.
>>
>>Is there some compatability issue?
>>
>>My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.
>>
>>Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
>>phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

> Hi
>
> There may well be two problems here
>
> 1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
> go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11

Even though an RJ-11 has only 4 connectors? (an RJ-12 has 6).

> This means a DEAD phone

No it doesn't it means he has the wrong cable.

> 2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
> adaptors* with the ring cct i them

He'd still get a dial-tone.

> Ian (* I do sell them, See www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/shop for details)

piersstanding@googlemail.com

Thanks guys. The answer was not all RJ11s are created equal, and that
by fitting a proper BT/USA adaptor we solved the problem.

piers