Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage - Required equipment

Reply
Thread Tools

Vonage - Required equipment

 
 
Andrew (G0RVM)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006

Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
RT31P2.

Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales people
giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
person.

i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
fine?

Thanks,
Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

>
> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
> RT31P2.
>
> Anyone know if this is correct?


Yeah it is. I think they use SRTP to encrypt the audio stream and stop
anyone from using any old SIP client to connect to it. Perhaps someone with
Vonage and a copy of Ethereal could let us know?

> Or whether this is just their sales
> people giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
> person.
>
> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
> fine?


Other kit will work fine, however, you'll have to pay an extra six quid a
month, on top of the tenner a month you'll be paying for using it with the
Vonage kit. And that'll give you only 500 minutes a month with said other
kit. So that's a not-so-stellar rate of 3.2p a minute if you only ever use
your own kit, or 1.2p a minute if you've already got Vonage. Either way
it's not really worth the hassle - you might as well pick any other SIP
provider, it'll be cheaper and you can use pretty much any kit you want.
For example, a tenner will get you ~800 geo minutes with Sipgate. Don't
just compare Vonage to BT; if you're considering moving to VoIP, compare
the cost of their service with Sipgate, voip.co.uk, et al.

Vonage makes sense if you are prepared to use their kit, and make more than
a tenners worth of geo calls every month.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
22:08:00 up 27 days, 2:26, 4 users, load average: 0.64, 0.41, 0.31
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew (G0RVM)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
alexd wrote:

> Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
>
>>
>> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
>> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
>> RT31P2.
>>
>> Anyone know if this is correct?

>
> Yeah it is. I think they use SRTP to encrypt the audio stream and stop
> anyone from using any old SIP client to connect to it. Perhaps someone
> with Vonage and a copy of Ethereal could let us know?
>
>> Or whether this is just their sales
>> people giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
>> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
>> person.
>>
>> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
>> fine?

>
> Other kit will work fine, however, you'll have to pay an extra six quid a
> month, on top of the tenner a month you'll be paying for using it with the
> Vonage kit. And that'll give you only 500 minutes a month with said other
> kit. So that's a not-so-stellar rate of 3.2p a minute if you only ever use
> your own kit, or 1.2p a minute if you've already got Vonage. Either way
> it's not really worth the hassle - you might as well pick any other SIP
> provider, it'll be cheaper and you can use pretty much any kit you want.
> For example, a tenner will get you ~800 geo minutes with Sipgate. Don't
> just compare Vonage to BT; if you're considering moving to VoIP, compare
> the cost of their service with Sipgate, voip.co.uk, et al.
>
> Vonage makes sense if you are prepared to use their kit, and make more
> than a tenners worth of geo calls every month.
>


Thanks for the info. Me thinks their service is not what I am looking for.

For the record I've been using VoIP for the last few years having trialled
Sipcall, Gossiptel and Sipgate. All worked fine in the IP universe but
exhibit varying levels of reliability problems for IP/PSTN/IP
interconnects. But for, essentially free services, they are just about
acceptable.

I'm not happy with Sipgate now due to signalling problems, however, that is
for another post!

Thanks again,
Andrew
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Kenyon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2006
Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
> RT31P2.
>
> Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales people
> giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
> person.
>
> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
> fine?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew


They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
a minute to remind us.
 
Reply With Quote
 
shido xavier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2006
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
>> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
>> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
>> RT31P2.
>>
>> Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales
>> people
>> giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
>> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
>> person.
>>
>> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
>> fine?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew

>
> They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
> like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
> a minute to remind us.


You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont
want to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to
see whats best for YOU.

-sx

 
Reply With Quote
 
John golf1jod
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2006

"shido xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshOKf.71689$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thomas Kenyon wrote:
>> Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
>>> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
>>> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
>>> RT31P2.
>>>
>>> Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales
>>> people
>>> giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
>>> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
>>> person.
>>>
>>> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67
>>> work
>>> fine?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andrew

>>
>> They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
>> like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
>> a minute to remind us.

>
> You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont want
> to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to see
> whats best for YOU.
>
> -sx
>

Hi Andrew,
I have been using voipfone with the Intertex IX66 router for about 8 months
and found it very reliable.
I have three Snom IP phones and am using voipfones virtual PBX service.
Well worth looking at.
Similar problems as yours with sipgate, I have one siemens IP phone with a
sipgate account and it works sometimes! not really looked into it as very
happy with voipfone.
John



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew (G0RVM)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2006
John golf1jod wrote:

>
> "shido xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newshOKf.71689$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thomas Kenyon wrote:
>>> Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
>>>> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
>>>> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2
>>>> or RT31P2.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales
>>>> people
>>>> giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
>>>> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
>>>> person.
>>>>
>>>> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67
>>>> work
>>>> fine?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Andrew
>>>
>>> They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
>>> like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
>>> a minute to remind us.

>>
>> You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont want
>> to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to see
>> whats best for YOU.
>>
>> -sx
>>

> Hi Andrew,
> I have been using voipfone with the Intertex IX66 router for about 8
> months and found it very reliable.
> I have three Snom IP phones and am using voipfones virtual PBX service.
> Well worth looking at.
> Similar problems as yours with sipgate, I have one siemens IP phone with a
> sipgate account and it works sometimes! not really looked into it as very
> happy with voipfone.
> John


Cheers John,

Will investigate voipfone too then. Been talking with Gradwell today and
may well be giving there free trial a go...

Andrew
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Kenyon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2006
Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

>
> Cheers John,
>
> Will investigate voipfone too then. Been talking with Gradwell today and
> may well be giving there free trial a go...
>
> Andrew


I've used gradwell and the service has been completely flawless.

Gradwell also seem to be about the most flexible provider when it comes
to configuring your account.

Mind you they are not cheap.

Have you looked at voip.co.uk?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage Graham. UK VOIP 1 02-11-2010 07:49 PM
Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage Gordon Henderson UK VOIP 0 02-11-2010 03:01 PM
Is this equipment OK for Vonage use? Jim H UK VOIP 15 09-06-2007 12:20 AM
Why do u have to return Vonage equipment when canceling? zcarenow@yahoo.com VOIP 4 07-27-2006 06:15 PM
Equipment that Vonage provides Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk UK VOIP 14 09-03-2005 09:01 PM



Advertisments