Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Free USA number for family to call me on (Sipgate)

Free USA number for family to call me on (Sipgate)

I have a free 01xxx SIPGate number and it is great!
Have family in USA and was wondering if I could get a free geographical
USA number and then "merge" it into my XLite software where I use the
SIPGate number. This would then enable family to call free or very
cheaply nationally instead of internationally.
*Very* new to this VOIP thing so any help/assistance appreciated. Thanks

Ivor Jones

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I have a free 01xxx SIPGate number and it is great!
> Have family in USA and was wondering if I could get a
> free geographical USA number and then "merge" it into my
> XLite software where I use the SIPGate number. This would
> then enable family to call free or very cheaply
> nationally instead of internationally. *Very* new to this
> VOIP thing so any help/assistance appreciated. Thanks

www.ipkall.com

Ivor

Ivor Jones wrote:
> www.ipkall.com

Thanks! I will check it out. Is there better software to use than XLite
that you can recommend?
Cheers

Ivor Jones wrote:
> www.ipkall.com

Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on the dial plate
when XLite has loaded and says "Your number") I got when signin gup with
SIPGate or would it be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx number
assigned once I completed the SIPGate registration?
I put my SIP Proxy as sipgate.co.uk - hope that is correct.
Confused.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh :
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> www.ipkall.com

> Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on the dial
> plate when XLite has loaded and says "Your number") I got when signin
> gup with SIPGate or would it be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx
> number assigned once I completed the SIPGate registration?
> I put my SIP Proxy as sipgate.co.uk - hope that is correct.
> Confused.

It will be the 7 digit one.

sipgate.co.uk is correct.

Ivor Jones

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > www.ipkall.com

> Thanks! I will check it out. Is there better software to
> use than XLite that you can recommend?
> Cheers

Why use software at all..? Get an ATA and plug an ordinary phone in.

www.sipura.com
www.avm.de/en

as a start.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > www.ipkall.com

> Would my SIP phone number be the 7 digit one (it shows on
> the dial plate when XLite has loaded and says "Your
> number") I got when signin gup with SIPGate or would it
> be the actual geographical 01xxx-xxxxxx number assigned
> once I completed the SIPGate registration? I put my SIP Proxy as
> sipgate.co.uk - hope that is
> correct. Confused.

Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example the
number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter that.

Proxy is correct.

Note that it can take up to an hour after you set up an ipkall number
before it starts working.

Ivor

Ivor Jones wrote:

> Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example
> the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter
> that.

Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
Not related at all.
Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
???

Ivor Jones

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>
> > Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number.
> > For example the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP
> > ID is 314xxxx so you enter that.

> Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
> Not related at all.
> Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
> ???

Hmm, ok, well in my experience they usually are, but I suppose due to
numbering ranges on some BT exchanges they might not be. Anyway, use the 7
digit SIP ID, 648xxxx in your case.

Ivor

Alex

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>> Use the 7 digit SIP ID, not the full geographic number. For example
>> the number I use is 0121-314 xxxx, the SIP ID is 314xxxx so you enter
>> that.

> Mine is 01582-80xxxx yet my 7 digit number is 648xxxx
> Not related at all.
> Mate signed up just yesterday and his are "co-ordinated".
> ???

I have two sipgate accounts, and neither of my PSTN numbers corresponds to
my SIP number. One of my PSTN numbers starts 888xxx (after the area code,
obviously), and the sip number for that account starts 662xxxx, whilst the
other starts 998xxx and the sip number is 972xxxx. It took me a while to
work out what Ivor was on about, until I realised his assumptions were wrong
about having the same SIP/PSTN numbers (or parts of).
At a guess I'd say you get the same numbers if their avaliable, however if
someones already had your local PSTN number on a different exchange as their
SIP number you could get allocated a random one...

Alex