Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Which SIP gateway?

Which SIP gateway?

Martin Lukasik

I am considering buying some "big buddy", which can do minimum 400-500
concurrent calls.
And I wonder... would it be better to buy something like Cisco or maybe use
Asterisk?
I can buy a server with 4, 8 or 12 processors, it's not a problem, but just
wonder how it would work.

What would you go for?
I know few VoIP providers using Asterisk, I know few using Cisco, I know one
using sysmaster.
Nobody wants to share any information... maybe here someone will help.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Peter Corlett

Martin Lukasik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am considering buying some "big buddy", which can do minimum 400-500
> concurrent calls. And I wonder... would it be better to buy something like
> Cisco or maybe use Asterisk? I can buy a server with 4, 8 or 12
> processors, it's not a problem, but just wonder how it would work.

You don't want one big server, you want loads of small servers so that you
don't go completely off the air if there's a hardware failure.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) for full key

Martin Lukasik

> You don't want one big server, you want loads of small servers so that you
> don't go completely off the air if there's a hardware failure.

Okay, okay, let's not talk about the obvious things. I DO KNOW that.
Backup will be in place. Saying "big buddy" I meant something able to handle
MANY SIP connections at the same time.

But the thing is -- which way to go...

m.

alexd

Martin Lukasik wrote:

> I am considering buying some "big buddy", which can do minimum 400-500
> concurrent calls. And I wonder... would it be better to buy something like
> Cisco or maybe use Asterisk?

Depends where your expertise lies - if you've been herding Ciscos for many
years and you have a good relationship with your Cisco vendor [and plenty
of $ for that matter], that would make most sense. However, if you dream
kernel .configs in your sleep, then use asterisk.

How you configure asterisk for a large number of users depends on the
topology of your network; if they're all on a LAN [or VPN under your
control], using REINVITEs on the SIP clients will take alot of the load off
your asterisk server [or any other SIP server for that matter]. On the
other hand, if you're thinking of having random members of the public
connecting [ie a Sipgate-style scenario], then it would probably make sense
to have SER handling some of the load on the front end [as NATed random
internet clients can't REINVITE and most - if not all - the audio streams
would end up going through your Asterisk servers], and asterisk servers on
the back end via some sort of round-robin DNS arrangement.

Two key points:
- If you use asterisk with a large number of users, SQL is the best place to
store config details
- If you stick to open protocols like SIP, you should be able to use any kit
with any other, and avoid getting locked in with any particular vendor.

> I can buy a server with 4, 8 or 12 processors, it's not a problem, but
> just wonder how it would work.

I reckon a rack full of dual core machines would be a better bet than one or
two massive systems with many processors.

> What would you go for?
> I know few VoIP providers using Asterisk, I know few using Cisco, I know
> one using sysmaster.
> Nobody wants to share any information... maybe here someone will help.

Yes they do - lurk on the asterisk-users mailing list, for starters. Even
with a few commodity PCs, you could get a pretty serious test system up and
running with Asterisk and SER, without too much outlay.

21:58:18 up 19 days, 2:16, 4 users, load average: 0.49, 0.21, 0.20
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Chris Hills

Martin Lukasik wrote:
> What would you go for?
> I know few VoIP providers using Asterisk, I know few using Cisco, I know one
> using sysmaster.
> Nobody wants to share any information... maybe here someone will help.

Martin

The most popular combination seems to be Cisco 2600/3600/3700 series
with NM-[12]CE1x, and CCM or Asterisk for call routing. There are many
large institutions in academia that do this. However, Nortel is becoming
more and more popular.

Regards

Chris