Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > End to End IP QoS for voice, video and Xbox Live

End to End IP QoS for voice, video and Xbox Live

Paul Cupis

Nick Ward wrote:
> Paul Cupis wrote:
>>And what is the difference between "IP Telephony" and "VoIP", please?

> "IP Telephony" is gaining currency as a description of a converged
> network, including mobile, exploiting SIP features like presence
> detection, follow me and seamless moves and changes within the VPN.

So they are the same thing then. Thanks for clarifying.

Hiro

true.... thats why I imagine there will varying interconnect charges
between ISPs based on the qos of a given channel.... a channel being
one voice conversation and another channel being a video conversation
etc

end user charges in the current world are fixed with a set usage cap
included and extra data charged per GB.... wonder if this charging
model will continue to hold in the brave new world.....

Hiro

actually i would interpret what Nick said as IP Telephony **uses** VoIP
technology but adding more telephony like functionality such as the
list Nick mentioned...in any case, remains to be seen whether the term
gains ground... would IP Telephony include Video over IP?

Nick Ward

Hiro wrote:
> actually i would interpret what Nick said as IP Telephony **uses** VoIP
> technology but adding more telephony like functionality such as the
> list Nick mentioned...in any case, remains to be seen whether the term
> gains ground... would IP Telephony include Video over IP?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant and yes it does include video. When I
was product managing a Softswitch we had all sorts of fun and games
trying to explain the difference between bog-standard VoIP and what we
were actually making, so IP Telephony became a useful handle. Signs
that the expression is gaining ground is that the likes of Avaya
(www.avaya.com) and Nortel (www.nortel.com) use the expression.

Ivor Jones

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dstfjo$22po$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Nick Ward wrote:
> > > Netservices - www.netservicesplc.com - they have an
> > > IP Telephony service (as opposed to VoIP).

> > And what is the difference between "IP Telephony" and
> > "VoIP", please?

> Nothing. VoIP is a generic term for the transport of
> voice packets over the IP. Netservices and few others are
> using different terms. IP Telephony is VoIP.
>
> Have a look at http://www.voice4ip.com/what_is_voip.php
> to see how the QOS is done and why it wont be avalible to
> domestic users.

The charter for this group gives some accepted definitions:
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.telecom....k.telecom.voip

Ivor

Paul Cupis

Hiro wrote:
> actually i would interpret what Nick said as IP Telephony **uses** VoIP
> technology but adding more telephony like functionality such as the
> list Nick mentioned...in any case, remains to be seen whether the term
> gains ground... would IP Telephony include Video over IP?

You have an interesting definition of "telephony".

Paul Cupis

Hiro wrote:
> true.... thats why I imagine there will varying interconnect charges
> between ISPs based on the qos of a given channel.... a channel being
> one voice conversation and another channel being a video conversation
> etc

Interconnect fees between ISPs? Oh, good, we can go backwards 20 years.

Ian

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > "Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dstfjo$22po$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > And what is the difference between "IP Telephony" and
> > > "VoIP", please?

> > Nothing. VoIP is a generic term for the transport of
> > voice packets over the IP. Netservices and few others are
> > using different terms. IP Telephony is VoIP.
> >
> > Have a look at http://www.voice4ip.com/what_is_voip.php
> > to see how the QOS is done and why it wont be avalible to
> > domestic users.

> The charter for this group gives some accepted definitions:
> http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.telecom....k.telecom.voip

Yes I should know I wrote them...........

Peter Corlett

Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> Interconnect fees between ISPs? Oh, good, we can go backwards 20 years.

And exactly how do you think it works now?

--
There may be some doubt as to who are the best people to have in charge of
children, but there can be no doubt that parents are the worst.

Paul Cupis

Peter Corlett wrote:
> Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>>Interconnect fees between ISPs? Oh, good, we can go backwards 20 years.

> And exactly how do you think it works now?

I know exactly how it works now. But we don't pay every ISP we peer with
for the privilege. We pay our transit providers and we pay IXs to allow
us to connect to them.

My reading of the post I replied to suggested that the poster wanted all
ISPs to pay/charge to peer whether it is direct/private peering or
peering at IXs, and that this would give them some kind of QoS on the
network of the ISP they pay.