Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Switching Voice Providers - BT to Vonage

Switching Voice Providers - BT to Vonage

fastrack1966@clara.co.uk

Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

busby

Carl Waring

> Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
> I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
> keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
> rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
> in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
> if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
>
> busby

Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's no
way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are able
to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line. At least, they used to

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh (E-Mail Removed):
> Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
> I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
> keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
> rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
> in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
> if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
>
> busby

Instead of paying Vonage a monthly fee for free calls, why not use VoIP Stunt
or SIP Discount?

Adrian

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
> I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
> keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
> rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
> in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
> if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
>
> busby

There is no way round it.
--
Adrian A

Brian A

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:23:34 GMT, "Carl Waring"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
>> I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
>> keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
>> rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
>> in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
>> if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
>>
>> busby

>Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's no
>way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are able
>to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line. At least, they used to

I can confirm that they do - I use BY myself for that very reason.
Vonage is OK, I suppose, for non-tech people who have money to burn.
If you buy your own ATA or router/ATA then your monthly outgoings will
be considerably less. If you use Vonage you are really are paying
through the nose. You probably would be better using 1899 from your BT
line. For £9.99 you can get 333 UK calls.
If you want to use voip spend a bit of time setting up an ATA. That
will give you a choice of any voip operator you want to use. Being
tied in with Vonage is like being tied in with BT - Why would you want
to do that unless you don't care about what you spend !
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

m.dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:53:02 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can confirm that they do - I use BY myself for that very reason.

You can now have BY broadband alone any level without any add on's if
you wish.
>Vonage is OK, I suppose, for non-tech people who have money to burn.

Vonage is good if you have the "usage" to make it viable but services
that are equally has good such has "Freetalk" and without any of the
frills you get with Vonage which the residential customer would not
really make use of anyway . I closed our Vonage account last night
only because it wasn't being used enough having also two Freetalk
lines, Freetalk wasn't around when I first subscribed to Vonage had
they been I would never entertained Vonage.
>If you buy your own ATA or router/ATA then your monthly outgoings will
>be considerably less.

But you do have a large initial outlay for the ATA my Sipura 2000 cost
eighty pounds that is over six pounds a month over and above any
subscription and call cost to a voip provider over a 12 month period.
> If you use Vonage you are really are paying through the nose.

I would not call paying under 2.30 a week for has many geographical
numbered calls to UK and Ireland has you wish to make paying through
the nose especially in comparison with robbing BT's charges .
>If you want to use voip spend a bit of time setting up an ATA. That
>will give you a choice of any voip operator you want to use. Being
>tied in with Vonage is like being tied in with BT

I do not see the point of going down the voip road at all if you need
a BT landline or any other landline provider for that matter to get
on the internet .

info@brainsys.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
> I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
> keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
> rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
> in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
> if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

Be careful.

By all means use Vonage or another VOIP for outgoing or to supplement
your incoming calls. But that BT line & number may be a lifeline for
two reasons:

* An ADSL link is inherently less reliable - power outages, routers,
ISPs etc.

* VOIP providers are a risk. Only a few are likely to survive and
charging regimes are likely to be volatile. Vonage is particulary
vulnerable. They managed to lose $189.6m in the first nine months of
2005 on sales of $174m. They have blown $650m on 'marketing' and
looking to raise more. Shades of the dot.com bubble. If they do go down
I'm not sure what happens to your number.

Stuart

TheMgt

Carl Waring wrote:

> Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's
> no way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are
> able to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line.

Why would you want their TV package for VoIP ?

Martin²

>There is little point
>in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
>if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

Exactly ! From frying pan to the fire...
But there is a way, find consenting close neighbour, share his broadband
via WiFi, split the cost, make (nearly) free VoIP calls and laugh all the
way past the BT exchange to the bank !
Use mobile phone for emergencies.
Regards,
Martin

fastrack1966@clara.co.uk

Thanks everyone, sounds like a minefield. The other thing with Vonage
is that I'd have to change my phone number. Is that inevitable too
whichever voip I choose?
Busby