Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cheapest VOIP service for 0870 /0845 numbers please

Cheapest VOIP service for 0870 /0845 numbers please

Peter Corlett

Paul Hayes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> Well, apologies if it gets posted all the time, I've not seen it on
> here before. I fail to see how it is spam though, it's just a free
> to use database of alternative phone numbers and I am not affiliated
> with it in any way.

Google Groups reckons it's been mentioned in no less than 169 threads
in uk.telecom.* so far.

--
Contrary to general belief, I do not believe that friends are necessarily the
people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first.

alexd

Peter M wrote:

>> That's about to end in any case. The rules are being tightened up.
>> 0845 will continue, but I can't see any economic future for 0870.

> I suspect it depends on whether it's a third-party which does the
> fax to e-mail service, or the 'telco' doing it. If the former, a
> change to any payments will make it uneconomic, but I doubt there
> will be any difference for Thus/Demon's service, to name but one.

Well thank you very much Ofcom! Thanks to you, it's now going to be
impossble to a fax-to-email service from anyone except a large telco.
Certainly striking a blow for consumers and freedom of choice there. I'm
glad my taxes are being spent in such a productive fashion.

20:06:23 up 5 days, 23 min, 3 users, load average: 1.03, 0.49, 0.30
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Thomas Kenyon

alexd wrote:

> Well thank you very much Ofcom! Thanks to you, it's now going to be
> impossble to a fax-to-email service from anyone except a large telco.
> Certainly striking a blow for consumers and freedom of choice there. I'm
> glad my taxes are being spent in such a productive fashion.

I remember when Ofcom insisted that BT increase (doubled in fact) the
cost of it's chargecard service because they weren't being competative.

They don't always seem to want what's best for the consumer.

GwG

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t9GDf.22297$(E-Mail Removed)...
> alexd wrote:
>>
>> Well thank you very much Ofcom! Thanks to you, it's now going to be
>> impossble to a fax-to-email service from anyone except a large telco.
>> Certainly striking a blow for consumers and freedom of choice there.
>> I'm
>> glad my taxes are being spent in such a productive fashion.
>>

> I remember when Ofcom insisted that BT increase (doubled in fact) the
> cost of it's chargecard service because they weren't being
> competative.
>
> They don't always seem to want what's best for the consumer.

I think if you took a poll of consumers, you would find a lot more in
favour of scrapping 0870 numbers because of the high charges, than those
that wanted to keep them, just because they make it possible to provide
a cheap and convenient fax to email service.

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:46:47 +0000, Peter M <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "if you feel an 0870 is
>too costly, we're happy not to have you call".

And I am very happy to not have to pay some firm who wants to make me
pay for a costly telephone call to them to order some expensive
appliance or other . The same goes for other none Geo numbers also
with the excepton of 0800 and 0808 numbers may www.sayonto0870.com
continue to be around for a very long time .

Adrian

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:46:47 +0000, Peter M <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "if you feel an 0870 is
>>> too costly, we're happy not to have you call".

>> And I am very happy to not have to pay some firm who wants to make me
>> pay for a costly telephone call to them to order some expensive
>> appliance or other . The same goes for other none Geo numbers also
>> with the excepton of 0800 and 0808 numbers may www.sayonto0870.com
>> continue to be around for a very long time .
>>

> At best the company you are calling are only going to be making 4p/min
> on the call (or .5p/min off-peak).
> The revenue they get from the phone call won't even go near to paying
> for someone to answer it, I'm sure you'd be the first person to moan
> about companies charging more to customers who speak to a telephone
> sales rep than customers who order from their website. (which doesn't
> require a sales rep usually).
>
> I don't think paying 7.51 (bt daytime) 3.75 (bt evening) 1.50 (bt
> weekend) per minute to call a sales rep, knowing that you are getting
> a slightly better service than ordering online is such a great
> hardship.

The trouble is you don't get to speak to anyone half the time, you're kept
on hold for ages, then disconnected.
--
Adrian A

Thomas Kenyon

Adrian wrote:

> The trouble is you don't get to speak to anyone half the time, you're kept
> on hold for ages, then disconnected.

Surely the fault is with the company, and not with the service, and
therefore you should boycott the company.

I've never experienced a problem like that on a sales line, in fact it
only ever happens when you need to speak to a bank IME (which would
suggest a better option is voting with your feet).

You wouldn't start crying to ban aluminium because some bomb casings are
manufactured from it.

PhilÅ

"PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8N0Df.71437$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As per header.
>
> I have ditched my BT line, occasionally I require to ring a 0870 number,
> off peak with by was 1p per min. Sipiscount appears to be about 18c / min?
>
> Any advice??
>
> Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com

Sorry about bringing this up, loads of comments about how 0870 is ripping
people off, but no response to my question, who is the cheapest VOIP 0870
player.

I will go and search before someone tells me to, but if someone before me
has already done the dirty work it would save me half an hour to go
searching.

Many thanks

Thomas Kenyon

PhilÅ wrote:
> "PhilÅ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8N0Df.71437$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>As per header.
>>
>>I have ditched my BT line, occasionally I require to ring a 0870 number,
>>off peak with by was 1p per min. Sipiscount appears to be about 18c / min?
>>
>>Any advice??
>>
>>Ohhh I know about www.saynoto0870.com
>>

> Sorry about bringing this up, loads of comments about how 0870 is ripping
> people off, but no response to my question, who is the cheapest VOIP 0870
> player.
>
> I will go and search before someone tells me to, but if someone before me
> has already done the dirty work it would save me half an hour to go
> searching.
>
> Many thanks

Sorry, I didn't reply because when I did this last (quite a while ago)
It was cheaper to call from alandline than any provider I looked at.